An everyday bag...

mike grossman

<p>I have it in my mind to shoot, process and post a photo everyday in 2009. It's my own little Photo A Day project. I haven't been shooting enough lately and it seems like a good way to force the issue. I need to rediscover photography again and sharpen whatever dormant, dull skills I have. Anyhow, I'm looking for a bag that will not only accommodate my camera, but also everything else I carry to and from my office.<br>

I plan on using a Nikon D700 with a couple of prime lenses - mostly 50mm and 35mm. The other stuff I have with me everyday is a 15" laptop, power cable for the laptop, and various 8.5 x 11 folders, papers, files, etc.<br>

I ordered a Lowerpro Fastpack 250 but now I'm worried it's not big enough. I'm pretty certain that many photo bags will have enough room for my photo gear, but I'm worried about room for my papers and files.<br>

Is there a bag that walks that fine line between too big and not too big, between briefbase and photobag, between svelt and clunky?<br>

Thanks, folks.<br>

- Mike</p>

<p>You might consider two bags, one for the office stuff and one for the camera stuff. There are bags big enough for both, but they are pretty large and for those occasions when you are doing one or the other activity they can be overkill. I'd think about a small laptop capable bag in either the traditional laptop bag style or messenger bag style, perhaps adding either a fastpack or one of the Slingshot bags. I use the 200AW for similar purposes and it is very convenient - the 100 AW might be large enough for you since you rely on primes.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>As G Dan says, the combined bags can be <em>HUGE</em> , so you may want to consider two. If it must be combined, check out some of the Tenba line. With only a 15" laptop, one of their shoulder bags works pretty well.<br>

With a computer and cameras+lenses, weight is also a factor beyond mere size. By the end of your year, you may be permanently tilted to one side.</p>

<p>It depends on how much stuff you carry. A LowePro CompuDaypack will carry my laptop, a dlsr with lens attached, a couple of extra lenses, and still have room for things like chargers and such. Fully loaded goes around 20 pounds and is easy to carry as a backpack but the gear is not readily accessible.</p>

<p>Tenba Gemini. It is two bags that zipper together as one. One bag is a camera bag and the other will hold a 15.4 computer. Take one, the other or both as one unit<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-ProDigital-Equipment-Notebooks-Accessories/dp/B000CDG6BW">http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-ProDigital-Equipment-Notebooks-Accessories/dp/B000CDG6BW</a></p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Thanks for the input on this. I sent back the Fastpack 250 because it was too tall and I realized I don't prefer backpacks for everyday use. Especially here in Chicago, I find they're hard to get on an off when bundled up for the winter months.<br /> I ordered a bag from Courierware. It's way more than I had anticipated spending, but I like the form factor of messenger bags - I can easily grab the camera while wearing the bag. And, by reputation, they're well made.<br /> We'll see...</p>

<p>I have a Fastpack 350 and it holds quite a bit, including a Laptop. I'm not sure how much smaller the 250 is, but I've been happy with the 350 thus far, especially for hiking, when I want to pack a lunch.<br>

The only thing missing from the Fastpack is a way to attach your tripod. I ended up making my own tripod holder for it :)</p>

<p>A picture-a-day project will demand a bag that both encourages you to carry your camera everywhere and provides easy access to your gear when you need it. <br /> I predict two things: you'll be happy with the messenger style bag; and that eventually you'll give up carrying much more than your basic kit with a few accessories. The laptop and paperwork will seem burdensome after awhile and will find a new home in a separate bag.<br /> Good luck.</p>