An Amazing Beauty!

<p>This is a 1958 Beauty Super II fixed lens rangefinder. It amazed me on a number of levels. These were manufactured, in Japan, by the Taiyo Kouki Company. The company changed its name to Beauty in 1957. There is not much information on-line for this camera. What I did discover that it features a coated, Canter-S 45mm f/1.9 lens in a Copal SV shutter with M and X flash sync and speeds from 1 sec to 1/500 sec plus B and a self timer. My camera came to me in amazing condition and it is quite attractive I think.</p><div>00SUYI-110313984.jpg.c699874c14ccc13830552facd74d1be2.jpg</div>
  • Like 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The first thing you notice holding the camera is how light it is. Other ”third party” cameras from this time period I’ve shot like the Aries 35 IIIL or the Taron 35 are quite a bit heavier. Yet the camera feels solid enough and the fit and finish are good. For me, the lighter weight is a real advantage. This is a true classic manual camera and it has no automation, batteries or meter.</p><div>00SUYM-110314184.jpg.4697937a7f6dcbad05e173f5ab853185.jpg</div>

<p >The rangefinder gods were smiling on me because not only does this camera look amazing for a 50 year old; it is near perfect mechanically and optically. The finder is bright with parallax correction lines and a well defined, round focusing patch. The rewind lever is cleverly designed and beefy. The film advance lever, on the other hand is smallish and thinner than I’d like. It’s plenty stiff but my thumb likes a bit more thickness there. Perhaps this is one area that was trimmed down to save weight.</p><div>00SUYN-110314284.jpg.c1196f785e93257a21ed4d540b536a6c.jpg</div>

<p >From my understanding, and please chime in if I’ve got this wrong, but this camera was supplied with three lens options: a Canter 45mm f/2.8 and f/2.0. These were five element designs. The high-end option was the Canter-S 45mm f/1.9, which was a six-element design. Ten aperture blades make for a perfectly round aperture. In any case, the lens is sparkling clean and delivers sharp images with good contrast. Here are a few I shot on Fuji Superia 400. Exposures determined by eye.</p><div>00SUYO-110314384.jpg.b4faf3e52c86ac691dfa524252ef25cb.jpg</div>
  • Like 2

<p>#6<br>

This camera handled well. I like the design and stone simple operation. Its lightweight made it a pleasure to carry around on a belt bag. The lens seem to hit it’s sweet spot at f/4 and it delivered amazing results from there to f/11. An interesting and unusual camera that is, in itself, a real beauty. </p><div>00SUYb-110314984.jpg.543302bec04a8d7d0b8156258994341e.jpg</div>

• Like 3

<p>It IS a Beauty! And so are your pictures. Who would have thought it?</p>

<p>Hey, Lenexa view eh? I recognized Kansas the minute I saw it. Used to drive through on my way to Salina (Motto: "Salina tonight, Denver, tomorrow." Yes, really!). The only trouble is that your area has so many trees that you can hardly see the view. ;)</p><div>00SUYl-110315084.jpg.123ecc8ef890c64b8c777fa2ba1623c2.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>Louis,</p>

<p>Jeez Louise that camera has a nice lens. Louis, wonderful photos. The Wesley portrait is wonderful, just wonderful!</p>

<p>I came across a Beuaty Super II at flea market, but could not buy it because the camera lens was etched with mold!!!!!</p>

<p>Another camera to add to the list of need to have cameras.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

• Like 1