Amish County, Pennsylvania

rolpahof leikonblad

Hi!

You have to travel on PA Rt. 340, rated one of America's (sic) scenic highways! The ride thru the farmland is still lovely, in spite of the outlet malls that have begun to desecrate the landscape. A favorite of mine is to travel Rt. 896 thru Terre Hill, which is a beautiful Victorian town. Once in Lancaster Co., you should go off on some of the side roads. (The tourist info places have excellent free maps.) A long lens (400mm or so on 35mm) is good to pick up the buggy traffic without disturbing the drivers. PLEASE respect the wishes of the plain people not to be treated as thought they were objects of amusement! Their life, though I object to much of it, has also a great deal to recommend it.

I don't think peaches are in at Beiler's yet, otherwise that would be a must stop!

What do you want to photograph in Philadelphia? I have lived there for about 30 years now, so I can recommend all sorts of places.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Are there any particular side roads in the Amash county that I must go? The longest lens I have is a 300mm but it cannot be hand-held, so I will probably just use my 200mm, a 75-150mm zoom lens and some wide angle lens. With this in mind, where can find nice landscapes (hopefully with a buggy as the motif)? If I want to take a panorama of the skyline of Philadelphia, where should I go to set up my tripod? How safe is it in the evening if I want to take a sunset photo of it? Where can I find the "Soho" or "Greenwich Village" in Philly?

Definitely go on 340. Take any turning that looks interesting. DO NOT eat "Amish" food. It gives "insipid" a whole new meaning.

The classic shot of Philadelphia is taken from the steps of the Art Museum (a glorious neo-classical structure itself). Sunsets are best from the West River Drive, where you can get the Water Works or Boathouse Row. (Both close to the Art Museum.) The bohemian district is on South Street, between the river and Tenth St. The galleries are in the Old City, along with beautiful 18th century architecture. According to Conde Nast Travel, Philadelphia is the BEST restaurant town east of the Mississippi.<div>005N1Y-13328884.thumb.jpg.b9215cef4632de6a83074fb340a2f996.jpg</div>

If (and only if)the air is clear, you can ask directions from any cop to Belmont Plaza, in Fairmount Park, on the west side of the river. This is where great skylines and great fireworks viewing can be found when fireworks are going off above Center City. Best time is at dusk, with what's left of sunlight coming from behind you.

By all means, eat in Lancaster County. It's good, plain food. In Center City Philadelphia, stop in for lunch at the Reading Terminal, 12th and Arch. Bring your camera with a normal to wide lens and fast film.

On a Saturday morning, go to the Italian Market on 9th Street just north of Washington Avenue. Outside stalls with plenty of stuff. Again, wide to normal lens. At 9th and Passyunk, there are two outdoor steak sandwich joints: Pat's and Geno's. Bill Clinton wouldn't make up his mind which was best, but I know for sure it's Geno's, and anyone who says differently is a jerk. For water ice, it's deep South Philadelphia at 12th and Schunk (one block above Oregon Ave.)at Italiano's. The lemon is the best in town, made with fresh lemons, and anyone who says differently probably also prefers Pat's Steaks. This is fact, not opinion ;-)

While not the heart of the Amish country I had the opportunity to be down around Oxford a couple of times on business, picturesque and rural 15 some years ago. The Brandywine area was also very pretty, the battlefield, river and Wyeth(??I think) museum and grounds were beautiful.