American killed while filming a protest in Egypt

<p>Sad indeed, and we don't know what actually happened here, but Americana is seen as a dirty nation in some parts of the world. The integrity have eroded much since the war in the last decade. I can remember traveling with fellow Americans in South Asia and they wanted to put Canadian flags on the backpacks, or wear a Canadian hat for safety sake...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That Canadian flag bit was particularly done in the Viet Nam war days.</p>

<p>Canada was recently listed as the most "trusted nation" in the world.</p>

<p>It may be worth remembering that the American was not the only loss in these demonstrations.</p>

<p>"....he planned to live and work there in the pursuit of peace and understanding."</p>

<p>I am sorry to say, he was too much of an idealist if he thought he could do that, and film people protesting stuff and be safe. Egypt is NOT the western world where anyone can document just about anything and not have any issues. I have to believe others must have tried to give him a reality check before this, but maybe he didn't get that from anyone. You'd think people would be a LOT more careful, after what happened to the US reporter during the " Arab Spring" protests in Egypt. </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Egypt is NOT the western world where anyone can document just about anything and not have any issues</p>

</blockquote>

<p>John, no issues whatsoever, right? Let's not consider rallies and protests for now. How about malls, train stations, subways and bridges, not to mention government buildings. How about the recent London and German laws regarding public photography...Many are paranoid of shooting public kids these days, even I have stopped shooting them on most occasions. In Asia, I have almost no qualms...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Anytime you're shooting in public, even as a paid photographer, you need situational awarenesss. Be aware of your surroundings and if it looks unsafe, pack up the camera and leave. </p>

<p>As an example, I was in Bejing recently with my wife, family and a cousin. We were in a McDonald's getting snacks and had a backpack laying on the table, with no one near it. I noticed a younger man, probably late teens, early twenties hovering around. I grabbed the backpack and put it under the table with my feet in the straps. As I did so, I noticed a look of digust on his face. He'd been outed, foiled and went back to trolling for left over food and other unsuspecting tourists. </p>

<p>Bottom line - Be aware of your surroundings - even in the safest places, yet alone a protest scene - you need to have your radar on high, and if you even sense a hint of danger to you, get out. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, being street savvy doesn't necessarily line up with idealism. The protesters could easily confuse him as a snitch (or CIA operative) and/or recording info for the other side. Unless you are with accepted group of protesters, there are risks. That can be applied to just about any conflict. Gees, one could be taking doc photos from a top of the building (or a window) and you could be shot by a lone sniper. It's a bummer that it happened....</p>

<p>Les</p>

Protest can be peaceful, but sometimes the air is charged with emotion. In these situations people can lash out violently.

Protesters lash out at police and vice versa. In this case it appears that the violence was directed at a bystander.

Situationl awareness is critical, but sometimes even that won't save you from an agitated mob.

<p>He was from a tiny school called Kenyon College. I've been invited to speak there a few times about civil rights issues. The student body is very idealistic and grounded in grass-roots activism. They're all great kids.</p>

<p>"The student body is very idealistic and grounded in grass-roots activism"</p>

<p>Those things don't keep you safe. It really only works in a school setting. The real world can be nasty, angry, and very dangerous. The State Department told Americans to stay indoors if they had to stay in the country. I doubt there were exceptions for idealistic activists. The guy with the knife didn't care. </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>...we don't know what actually happened here, but Americana is seen as a dirty nation in some parts of the world.</blockquote>

<p>No, we don't know what happened but nothing wrong with speculation.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but nothing wrong with speculation.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>okay...</p>

<ol>

<li>There was some sorta accident, then, things escalated to the fatal stabbing</li>

<li>There was some vengeful Muslim individual that saw and started beating on the caucasian and mob scene followed</li>

<li>The idealistic American said or did some stupid (say, culturally insensitive) thing. And people got too enraged...</li>

<li>He was just unlucky, being caught at the wrong place and wrong time, without enough protest experience "third eye" and sh!t happened.</li>

</ol>

<p>It's sad story, no matter which way you cut it. Being too idealistic, especially in that certain part of the world, has its baggages... </p>

<p>Middle East is culturally and mentally different from North America, Europe or Far East, you can't just bring western political and economy model to Egypt, Syria, Libya, Iraq or Afghanistan. <br>

Population of those countries is not violent by nature, if you came as friend, you will have warmest hospitality you ever experienced, but if you try to force them into something, they not ready or do not want to except, they have generational experience of resistance. It was always kingdom and probably will stay that way.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Population of those countries is not violent by nature...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Let's see: Syria: 80,000 killed in their latest skirmish with each other.</p>

<p>Egypt: well the number aren't all in but they killed a Presidnet (Sadat) and I think all hell is going to break loose before this one is over.</p>

<p>Iraq: Well, the Shias and Sunnis were killing each other long before America was America.</p>

<p>Should I go on? YOure right about one thing. Maybe they are ready for democracy.</p>

<p>I think people are looking at this too much from the prism of "western photographer". There have been hundreds of documented rapes and sexual assaults just in Tahrir Square alone (most of them Egyptian women, only a few Western women like Lara Logan and a Dutch journalist). There is something almost akin to mob rule at times going on in Egypt. Very fluid situation with gangs of people who are out of control.</p>

• 3 weeks later...