Amazon Cloud uploads timeout repeatedly

<p>I decided to take advantage of the photo storage i have access to through an amazon prime account. I have about 2gb of images to backup to the cloud, which is not a lot of storage in as far as this sort of thing goes. I am finding that the upload operation seems to timeout, logging me completely out of my account on a frequent basis. I had hoped to simply upload and let it go until it was done however this seems to need constant monitoring. Does anyone know how to make this work? I can't believe this is working as intended.</p>

<p>Before you do anything else, try an upload in the middle of the night. For myself, I would not under any circumstances use any cloud computing concept - the risk of system failure and total data loss is just too high.</p>

Thanks for the responses. Searches suggest others experience this same issue with little to no useful intervention from

Adobe support staff, but I will still bark up that tree. I wonder if Adobe somehow throttles uploads to minimize impact to

their systems. As for totally disavowing the utility of a cloud based storage solution, that is simply ridiculous and it is

unclear to me what the risks are. I guess I would challenge the this notion by asking for empirical evidence demonstrating

"system failure and total data loss", otherwise this is simply unfounded paranoia.

<p>Christopher, I run a business which has six PCs installed and which necessitates me being able to obtain an Internet connection and run applications at all times. Any interruption can be an embarrassment, any interruption lasting more than two hours or so starts to cost me serious money. Moreover, I use my email facility to retain all emails received, apart from spam, until the end of each quarter, at which time I complete my quarterly return and delete many of the mails.<br /> Over the last 30 years I have used various main ISPs. A while ago, my main ISP was AOL.com. One day without warning of any kind, the entire contents of my mailbox disappeared. AOL customer service personnel stated they were unable to do anything about this whatsoever. This is what I mean by total data loss. More recently, I have switched to BT as my main ISP. A short time ago, following a software upgrade by BT, I was unable to access my emails for approximately five days, despite constant phone calls to customer service and waits for replies which never came, any mails directed to me during this time did not get through, were not buffered and disappeared without trace. Oddly enough, I am still using AOL as a secondary ISP and have had no further problems.<br /> Fortunately, given the importance of an Internet connection, I have two totally separate broadband connections (BT and EE) and three totally separate phone lines (one BT landline, two mobile phone contracts). In this way, I am able one way or the other to work around any temporary outage.<br /> As regards cloud computing in general, I regard this as a cynical ploy by Microsoft and others to extract more money from customers. Bear in mind that I needed to equip each of my six computers with at least a Microsoft Office package plus a digital imaging program (one Adobe Creative Suite, several copies of Photoshop Elements, one or two copies of Corel Photopaint). I still have one XP computer, I would still be doing all my digital imaging with Photoshop 5.0 if this ran on all my new computers. The idea of paying a monthly licence fee for this is a joke. Apart from anything else, cloud computing presumably means that if I am travelling and find myself in a Wi-Fi dead spot, I cannot use any apps (!).<br /> There are very sound reasons with medium or large-sized companies to introduce server-based systems where the apps are on the server. The only possible arguments I can find in favour of web-based cloud computing are for users who for some reason occasionally need supercomputer performance (although they probably be better off simply renting space on a supercomputer) or who want to offer a service to business users based on very expensive software packages. Neither of these applies to me.<br /> Like anyone else involved in managing technical systems I have not yet found a way to avoid Murphy's Law ("If it can break, it will"), although of course maintenance strategies based on redundancy and MTBF help enormously. I appreciate that you are simply experimenting with some server space you happen to have – I am willing to bet that pretty soon you're going to ask yourself why you are going through all this hassle when a USB stick or external USB hard drive would solve your storage problems better, quicker and far far more simply. I hope my reasoning does not sound like paranoia to you – it makes perfect sense to me!</p>