Amateur Shoot For Office Retirement Party

brucecyr

Sigh... Spend enough time and money on macro and bird photography, and your

Household Comptroller is eventually going to wonder if it has any practical

spin-offs :-)

Please suggest search terms if this question has been addressed before.

I've been asked to shoot an office retirement party. My suggestion that hiring

a pro would be my choice resulted in: "Can you loan your camera to an intern

and tell him how to use it?" On the verge of saying "Of course", I caught

myself, realizing I'm not quite ready to jeopardize this relationship just shy

of the 40 year mark :-)

Recently I had a chance to watch a pro work a large, formal awards dinner -- a

pair of Nikon D200's with 70-200 VR (unmistakeable) and probably the 28-70 ED-IF

and whatever big flash Nikon uses. He didn't work the pre-dinner reception and

didn't do any candid work. I especially noted his work flow -- three pictures

for every award shot, check the LCD/histogram after every sequence, keep working

nearly every minute, only stopping now and then to think about where to move

next. He NEVER fumbled with his gear -- he knew where everything was, like

replacement cards, etc. I'll practice as much as I can.

Its to be a two hour affair in the office (8ft ceiling?) with a reception line

for the retiree and spouse, then some low-key, likely semi-humorous

presentations interlaced with snacking and drinking.

Available equipment is a Canon 350D with 17-85 IS and 10-22. I know I have to

get a 580EX with bounce diffuser -- the 220EX that fairly blasts violets and

bugs just won't cut it on the bigger stage. Lenses aren't what a pro would use,

but they're what I've got and will just have to do, slow speed and all. For

back up I'll just pocket my wife's SD550 and hope I don't have to rely on its

recycle times. (Yes, I'd probably do better just paying for a pro out of my own

pocket, but when will I ever get a better pretext to acquire a 580EX?)

I've got 2 months, so if there is a book or two I could read, there will be time

for that.

Obviously I need to document the reception line, but I'm unsure exactly how to

do it. I guess I should position myself to take pictures of the guests' faces

as they meet the honoree. Doesn't seem quite right to ask each party to turn

and face the camera -- slows down the line and the honoree doesn't need to see

himself and his wife.

Also need to shoot any presentations and do candids. Candids are the hardest

part -- I'm not that gregarious to establish rapport, but I guess I can put on a

party face and demeanor. Telling folks not to pay attention to me doesn't seem

quite right, so I was thinking I should approach a group, "warn" them what I'm

going to do so they can "pose", promise I won't let any ugly shoots get out,

then hang around a bit longer and snap some more as they begin to ignore me. It

helps that I know many of them, so no one expects anything great :-)

I'm wondering if the 580EX will be recycle fast enough and last long enough if I

carry a set or two of backup batteries?

ANY suggestions or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Relax. You will probaby do just fine.

I would go to the place the party is to be held and take some photos. Could you post one

or two here to see what conditions you will operate?

I've got the 580EX and it works pretty well. I will set the camera on manual, that is I will

set the shutter speed at about 1/60th or may 1/125 of a second and set the f stop at a

mid-way point for you lens. Then the cameras computer will tell the flash that this is what

I've got to work with and you (the flash) need to supply the correct amount of light! Try it.

If most of the images will be enlarged to a 4"x6" or up to an 8"x10" you can use ISO 400. I

even use ISO 800 and have excellent results with Canon. The higher ISO allows your flash

to be a little lazy, put out less light, providing for a quicker time for the flash to re-charge

and more flashes per set of batteries.

I will use only 1 set of 4 nickel metal hydride (rechargeable) batteries per wedding I do but

I always take several sets of batteries with me just in case. You will know when the

batteries are getting used up as it takes longer and longer to recharge the flash.

If you can take some people to the location and experiment with them. Maybe even buy

them lunch and a glass of wine. Get them to be happy! Go through what's going to

happen on the day of the event.

Perhaps put a list of must take photos together and take with you the day of the event.

Snag someone to help you.

I wouldn't worry about the technicals. Keep it simple. Focus on the event, getting people

in happy moments.

Hope this helps you!

I shot with a pro that worked in shutter priority mode alot at 1/60th indoors and compensated +/- with the flash. She was very consistent.

Test! test! Test! I would start at 8-10 feet away with diffused flash head set at a 45degree angle. Gives you a good mix bounced and direct.

If you have access to the room, borrow a tripod. Set the camera to a delay and pose for the picture yourself. Then grab some coworkers and repeat and practice. Then when you know the lighting (if it's consistent throughout), you should do fine tweaking it shooting with the camera in manual mode.

Think about a camera flip bracket and get a couple of backup sync cords (one of mine failed right out of the box).

Another option if you have a lightmeter... My Sekonic L358 can read cordless flash and works like a charm. The damn lightmeter just knocks my socks off, even with digital histogram, I'm faster and more accurate with it, than without it.

IMO go back and look over all the holiday and family reunion pictures you ever took and try to see what worked and what didn't. Bounce flash in tight quarters is better than direct. Bring enough battery power. Put yourself in the place of an invited guest and realize that just like anyone else you would be gracious and let some nervous designated photographer have his way. Once you have their attention any small group will gladly move and pose in a more pleasing way. Don't shoot while people are eating or talking - you know how unflattering that looks.

If you don't have more confidence then practice technique on your spouse. Afterall she got you this gig.

Deffo take spare batteries. And keep them with you, because they're no use to you in your bag at the cloakroom when you flash dies in the middle of a presentation. Also, as regards the lineup - you do really want to get people to pose with the honoree - the honoree might not want the pictures with them in, but the guests are more likely to. Pictures of the backs of anyone's head aren't very interesting. If the honoree is a pro or experienced they will handle this for you, getting each person to turn to face the camera with a ready smile. All you have to do is catch the moment. Also the people backed up in the line will get the idea and be ready for it.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the diffuser, but make sure you bounce. Pray for a light coloured ceiling, not too high and not too low. The closer the subject, the steeper the bounce. (Sometimes I even bounce from the ceiling behind me, gives a shallower angle and a softer light, but eats batteries faster.

Give yourself permission to miss some great shots, but celebrate the ones you do get.

Enjoy.

"If you don't have more confidence then practice technique on your spouse. Afterall she got you this gig."

Smile when you say that pardner :-)

Actually, I don't lack confidence -- my problem is the opposite. I'm not diffident, but rather domineering if anything -- "Smile and suck that quiche out of your gap, Doofus!"

But I deeply appreciate all the tips, like Mr. Myers' suggestions for managing the reception line and flash bouncing. I like and practice Mr. Clark's wine suggestion -- just never occurred to me to apply it to subjects :-) Also his suggestion to find out what the "must take" shots are, and his reassurances. Mr. Ho's tip about not shooting people while they're eating or talking is essential wisdom.

I'll compile these suggestions and go through my routine in advance as Mr. Caswell suggests.

BTW, no co-workers and no comp -- I'm retired and the only thing at stake are vague allusions to the homeostasis of my, ahem, non-photographic gear :-)

Thanks again for sharing your suggestions and reassurances! And keep 'em coming, folks, for those who come by later! I'm monitoring this thread.

I've been lending my limited skill to local cancer society. Also, cover some politics for the newspaper. There are a lot of needy groups you can hook up with that would appreciate the images. The luncheons, meetings, etc are often similar in setup, lighting, and will give you a few test runs.

A 430EX is fine, even bouncing, if your party is to take place in your typical office building rooms--8 foot white, acoustic tile ceiling with white walls and fluorescent lighting. Don't know if the 430EX has a built in white card, but if not, just rubber band a business card to the flash, tilt the head 45 degrees to bounce off the ceiling and shoot away. Is there available light coming through windows? If not, you can use one setting the entire evening--ISO 400, f5 or f5.6, 1/60th (inside). You don't want to drag the shutter too much or you will get a lot of fluorescent color balance in the background. Learn how to compensate your flash so you can be on top of this as you go. If available light, or brighter daylight is going to be a factor (coming through windows, you may have to change your shutter speed (1/125th or 1/250th) or you may have blasted out backgrounds or overexposure.

You may want to read the planetneil.com article on using on-camera flash. Re the reception line, I would agree with the above person who said that a quick shot of each person or group of persons to talk to the retiree is a good idea--clue the retiree in on this, have him turn and have him instruct each new group to turn to the camera, all arm in arm, and smile for one quick shot (or two if someone blinked) at the beginning of each contact. You don't bug people snapping/flashing in their faces as they talk to the retiree this way since you already got the one good shot that people would want. Talking and eating results in weird mouth positions if you aren't careful. On the contrary, I don't think it slows the line down if you're quick about it. Also takes the pressure off you for the "candid" shots--I'd just get what you could--a combination of posed and non-posed shots, and especially humorous ones.

As for presentations, obviously you want to photograph each person to make one, and include any items that they present (make sure it is clearly visible and if not, get a close up). I always shoot a few--a couple when the presenter smiles, a couple if the retiree is in the photo, and a couple at the height of any action or good expressions on either part. Get a few food shots as well.

Don't forget about some good, posed, portrait type shots of the retiree by himself, in his office, with his wife, with his boss, before the majority of guests arrive. Also a shot of the retiree under the company sign (inside or outside). If you're up for it, a group shot of everyone--or if too many, sub groups--his staff, his peers, etc. These can be very casual. You could get up on a chair and shoot down with a wide angle.

If you think about what kind of shots you would want if you were the retiree, you'd have your list right there. You could also ask him.

If you don't need to shoot in quick succession, a 580EX will recyle fast enough, and probably also a 430EX, but it is always a good idea to carry extra batteries. You can also rent a 580EX.

Ms. Ohara,

Thank you for the considered, detailed response. The ideas for types of shots is exactly what I need.

If I am able to remember and apply just half the generous advice offered, it will be a tremendous success. Of course, if I screw up and blow it... No, its all my doing :-)

Mr. Caswell,

Thanks for the suggestion about volunteering services to needy groups -- that's something I may look into if the retirement ceremony goes OK.