Amateur Photographer looking for some advice.

jiawei_zhang

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

I'm a high school senior and really into photography. I currently have a D90, a Nikon 18-200 VR II lens, a Nikon 35-70 f/2.8D lens, and two manual focus lenses from a garage sale (E series 28mm and 50mm).</p>

<p>I am currently suffering from some high school poverty but have some money to spare (around $400) and am looking for some extra lenses. I really enjoy macro photography (I've been using the 35-70 with a +3.0 diopter) but I also enjoy night photography and long range photography (sports and stuff). I often also shoot school events on the auditorium in the dark. Unfortunately, I don't think $400 will get me more than one lens. What do you guys suggest? Below, I have listed my top few choices that I am currently considering. I have no brand loyalty and don't mind used products as long as they are clean.</p>

<p>1. Nikon 35mm f/1.8 - $196 new - idk if that extra step is worth it over the 35-70 but everyone says this lens is otherworldly <br>

2. Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro - $200 used on keh - cheapest macro other than 40mm f/2.8 but everyone says the 40mm is too close<br>

3. Nikon 70-210 f/4 (really old) - $200 used on ebay - is this any good? it's one of the earliest autofocus zooms so I don't know if it's that good<br>

4. Nikon 50mm f/1.8G - $220 new - for a DX camera is this too wide? I've been messing around with the 35-70 at different focal lengths and this feels too long but I sometimes go beyond this even.<br>

5. Nikon 50mm f/1.8D - $125 new - Is this good also?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you say you do long range sports, maybe I would skip the primes you listed. You already have the 35 and 50 but in a zoom, but slower but still 2.8. </p>

<p>Maybe you should get a macro that is something you don't have yet apart from the diopter. </p>

<p>200/4 manual? or maybe even a 200/2.8 manual? 300/4 used manual? </p>

<p>50 = 75mm on DX. 1.5x thing. Same for all your lenses. So a 50mm is similar to the 50mm on your zoom...</p>

<p>I've written a Java program to find out all the focal lengths I've ever used on my 35-70 and I've found this approximation:<br>

35-49 - 24%<br>

40-44 - 5%<br>

45-49 - 8%<br>

50-54 - 19%<br>

55-59 - 13%<br>

60-64 - 8%<br>

65-70 - 23%</p>

<p>So, I guess nothing really sticks out but I'm not sure about manual lenses. I think those are out of my budget.</p>

<p>I would get the 35 f/1.8G and the 60mm f/2.8 macro. These are by far my 2 favorite lenses. 35 is a great focal length. I did a trip to San Francisco for 5 days recently and only took that lens. It was not wide enough once or twice, but it was amazing for everything else.<br>

I have the 50 1.8G as well, but I don't use it very often as it's usually longer than I want.</p>

<p>But to look at it differently, there is nothing that the kit you have now can't handle. Sure, it's a little limited, but not incapable. If you bump into the limits of your gear often enough, then you will know for sure where it makes sense to upgrade and augment.</p>

<p>What do you wish your current gear did better?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think the main issue is not enough macro (4x on the 35-70 without the diopter) and not enough light at other apertures. That's why I was wondering if I could get the 70-210 f/4. I use my 35 70 macro function in MF anyways so that's not an issue. Do you guys have any MF macro suggestions? I googled the 200 f/4 macro and it doesn't exactly have very favorable reviews. They all suggested the Tamron 90mm, Tokina 90mm f/2.5, and 55mm Nikon.</p>

<p>I love your Java program. :)</p>

<p>If you want real macro, the so-called macro on the zooms is really only close focus. Real macros are designed for flatter fields of focus than a zoom can be, and they typically go to 1:1 reproduction without tubes or bellows. <br /> Nikon calls their macros, "micros", but it's pretty much the same except that some of the old MF "micros" needed an extension to actually get all the way to 1:1.<br /> A less-expensive, but high quality, third-party macro within your budget is the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro (<a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/283-tamron-af-90mm-f28-di-sp-macro-nikon-mount-lab-test-report--review">link</a>)</p>

<p>A longer macro lens gives you more distance between the front of the lens and the object being photographed.</p>

<p>200/4 manual is like $100 bucks. it's not a macro lens.<br>

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/180200mmnikkor/200mmb.htm<br>

You mentioned long range photography too.... 200/2.8 is more, 300/4 might even be within $400 - check. I picked those cos you already have a 2.8 zoom. Many people are ok with that but you say not.</p>

<p>Maybe a macro lens or even cheaper if you go manual focus. <br /> For the other lens you would need to figure out what you really need - FL, aperture etc ... something outside 35-70 but maybe within it if 2.8 isn't enough ... <br>

The Tamron 90mm Macro is quite good but memory it's $500 isn't it .. checked - 50 discount with rebate. I don't imagine used would be that much cheaper. The Nikon equiv is much much more ... (new that is 105mm). </p>

<p>For sports keh has a couple of lenses that stood out to me. They have an "ugly" Nikon 180/2.8 ED AF for $235. I love their "ugly" lenses because there is often nothing wrong with them, and they are very inexpensive. It would be nice to use this lens with a 1.4x converter too, but it is not compatible with Nikon AF converters, but you may get AF with one of the third party brands. The other lens they have is the Nikon 300mm f4 ED AF for $500, but it does push your budget and leaves nothing left for anything else.</p>

<p>For macro you do don't need, or want, in my opinion, AF. Depth of field is so limited in the macro/micro range that I would rather not let an AF system decide what is in focus. The manual Nikon 55/3.5 can be had in the $100 range, again keh has these. Avoid the 55/2.8 Micro because of problems with oil on the aperture blades. Another lens that is usually in abundance, and for under $200, on the used market is the Nikon 105/4 Micro AI or AIS manual lens. The AIS version is nicer to use and the 100mm focal length gives more working room.</p>

<p>Ray, I was talking about the 200 f/4 AIS, my bad. THAT one is macro. I personally don't plan on spending more than $300 on a macro lens alone. I'm really looking into the 60mm f/2.8 and f/2.8D. Do you guys see any significant difference? All I know is that the D adds better flash capabilities and a better lens coating. I can get the non-d for like $200 on the bay and the D for like 250. Do you guys have any longer range manual macros, not necessarily Nikon? I actually tested the 90mm Tamron and 100mm Tokina at a store and loved them both but they are out of my budget. $400 is my ABSOLUTE budget and I really don't wanna spend more than $300. </p>

<p>The Tamron is often sold used on eBay in your budget. Moreover, sometimes even new ones have sold for $399 and less. Even some Buy-It-Now offers from Asia are below $400.</p>

<p>Check carefully to make sure it is the AF version for Nikon. There are similar, good quality MF versions that should be quite a bit less.</p>

<p>John Crowe, I actually ordered an UGLY keh lens (35-70 f/2.8 non-d) and it was crap... sticky focus, loose zoom, etc. I saw that 180mm f/2.8 but I'm not sure it focuses fast enough for sports. I saw that 300 f/4 as well and WANT that darned thing but can't justify the cost lol. Reviews of that lens aren't great. So, is the 60mm f/2.8 Non-D decent for $205?<br>

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NA06009009731N?r=FE</p>

<p>Depends on what macro you intend to shoot. At 1:1 macro which both of the 60/2.8 lenses reach, the working distance is approximately the same, and that is about 2.5 inches from your subject. Getting that close may be difficult and getting light onto your subject at that distance may be difficult too especially since the lens/camera/you may put it in deep shadow.</p>

<p>P.S. Yes keh sells the adaptall adapter for Nikon as well. I don't know what adapter trouble you have had but these are not adapters in the usual context. Tamron was able to be quite smart in the old days. They could make one lens, and then sell it with their own mechanical adapter to fit any camera, like Canon, Nikon, Leica, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus etc...This kept their manufacturing/distribution cost way down.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help, but can you guys please link me all the feasible lenses? I feel that I'm really starting to crave macro lenses with a long focusing path (like 290degrees preferably). Can I have some suggestions? I'm currently considering:<br>

1. Nikon 60mm f/2.8<br>

2. Tamron Adaptall 90 f/2.8 (not 2.5 which is only 1:2)<br>

3. Nikon 200mm f/4 AI-S micro (too expensive - cheapest I could find is $400)</p>

<p>Jiawei<br>

If you really enjoy macro, 60mm f/2.8D is a good start, you won't be disappointed. I owned one. I would stay with D version simply because it is newer. The type of subject you shoot determines your working distance and that, you have to decide what focal length works for you. Another cheap option is extension tube, the drawback is you have limited range of distance that will give you focus. With that said, you can use the rest of money for a 35mm f/1.8G. Tough decision.</p>

<p>He already has the 18-200 VrII. That on his crop sensor gives him 300 at F/5.6. For daylight that ought to be pretty good for his high school sports. For photographing plays he can use the 35-70 F/2.8 and sit closer to the stage. </p>

<p>I like this choice for him. The first will become his favorite lens. He needs a used Nikon 80-200 F/2.8. He could sell his 18-200. This will give him about $500.00 more. So adding that to the $400.00 he has ne can get:</p>

<p>A very nice Nikon 80-200 F/2.8 for about 550.00 used. <br>

An 18-55 Vr for $100.00 (factory demo from Cameta or whomever)</p>

<p>That leaves about $250.00 for a used Tamron, Tokina or Sigma 90mm - 100 mm Macro. (Or a demo Nikon 40mm micro). That would be a heck of a kit and allow him to do all he requires. </p>

<p>The 80-200 F/2.8 will take him to a whole new place. It is perfect in the school auditorium. Super for sports and a fine portrait lens. It is built like a tank and sharp as a tack.</p>

<p>The 18-55 Vr will only be used for 18-35 if it is used at all.</p>

<p>The Tokina, Sigma and Tamron Macros are very nice especially the Tamron 80mm. The Nikon 40mm will give him a nice lens and introduction into macro but as he says you have to work fairly close.</p>

<p>Jiawei, of the lenses on your list the one that sticks out as one to <strong>avoid</strong> would be the 70-210 AF. All of the early versions of this lens were dogs. The very first "two-touch" version was OK mechanically, but optically was simply a revamp of the 70-210 f/4 Nikon E. The next "trombone" AF version was just awful, both optically and mechanically - steer clear. If you want a cheap lens in this focal range, then look for an old manual focus Ai-S 80-200mm f/4 Zoom-Nikkor. Optically, this is a far better lens than anything affordable in the 70-210mm range, and can be got very cheaply these days. I picked up a near-mint version recently for £80 (about $120). Old manual focus Nikkor lenses are a great way to get very good glass on a tight budget.</p>

<p>As for macro lenses: My choice would be either the 60mm f/2.8 Nikkor, or a 90mm f/2.8 Tamron SP. The Tamron would give you more working distance between lens and subject, and double as a medium telephoto/portrait lens. Again, there's a cheap MF option, and that's the Ai-S 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor. This can be had for $100 - $200 depending on cosmetic condition. Manual focus is generally no great disadvantage when shooting macro and some photographers actually prefer to work this way.</p>

<p>Jiawei, With the exception of Nikons great 70-180mm closeup zoom (macro by definition means 1:1) any of the current fixed macro lenses from Canon, Nikon , Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina should meet your macro need. Someone on PN once said, and I believe its true, that its hard to make a bad macro lens. I would suggest purchasing the longest focal length you can afford. Focal length gives you distance and helps isolate the subject. I use my 60mm underwater with a DX camera but seldom on land. I have 105 and 200mm Nikor micro lenses and often prefer extention tubes on my 300mm for close up work and to blur the background. The shorter focal length 60mm is much more forgiving WRT depth of field but doesn't isolate the subject nearly as well. Its a trade off. Besides extention tubes on long lenses dual element achromatic lenses made by Canon are not bad and some folks use them on zoom lenses. John Shaw's Closeups In Nature can still be found on Amazon and has very useful information that can help steer your decision. Good hunting. Andy</p>

<p>+1 Tamron 90mm macro. If you don't mind manual focusing (which is pretty hard for sport) try the 200mm F4 AIS/AI. But it does not meter on D90. 300mm F4 non AF-S is a great lens but at a little bit higher price. 70-300mm VR can be had used for around $350.</p>