patrick_davis

In October my wife and I are taking off for 21 days in Europe, (

Paris, Munich, Vienna and the Normandy coast ) and I need a little

advise on traveling in Europe with a backpack full of camera

equipment. I am taking along my trusty 503cxi Hasselblad with 40mm,

50mm, 80mm, 120mm macro and a 140-280 zoom plus tripod plus etc, etc

etc?.needless to say my little backpack is full. So here is my

problem, I am going to stick out like a sore thumb on the street

with this pack and I am a little worried about getting ripped off.

I have had a few people tell me horror stories about pick pockets

and snitches opening back packs as you walk down the street and it

has made me stop and think a little. Am I nuts to bring all this

stuff??? Has anyone else traveled on the heavy side and had issues

with equipment being stolen? This trip is half work (shooting) and

half pleasure (drinking and eating) so I did not want to show up

35mm point and shoot. My wife will be with me most of the time and

there are times that I will be leaving my pack in the room. Any

advice/experiences are welcomed.

Thanks a bunch!

BTW I do have insurance on all my equipment and this includes a

rider for going over seas.

Yep.

I normally enjoy the place and lay back .. I normally carry 2 primes and sometimes a cheap zoom than one of those bulky things. I normally forgo the tripod and use builtin flash.

If its work that its your job then you need to make do with it I guess. I have heard stories of be robbed.

Someone may have more experience on this ..

Paris, Munich, Vienna and the Normandy coast are alot safer than New York, Washington DC, or LA. Lots of Americans walk around Paris or Vienna with ostentatious photopacks and attract nothing worse than giggles. So long as you stay in the tourist areas and stay in upscale hotels with good security, the only problem you are likely to have is sore feet and shoulders. Probably best to stay out of the slums, but the new ones out in the banlieus (at least in Paris) aren't very picturesque, and the old ones have all been yuppified.

Personally I take a single camera and maybe an extra lens for urban travel, but to each his taste.

Are you perhaps an American unused to public transport? Do you realise you have to carry all this stuff?

You say it's partly "work". If that means you're a professional photographer and you need all the gear, you might ask your accountant whether you can deduct your wife's trip as "assistant" and your client whether they can get someone to drive you around town.

As someone who's toured some of these places, you wouldn't catch me carrying all that and trying to squeeze it on crowded trams.

Some years ago I was hassled by a gang of children in Rome.

I'd suggest spending a day or two carting that stuff around in the style you expect to be doing it there, maybe on and off buses, small cars, walking for more than short distances. Then you can tell if you need to change either your "work" or your travel plans.

Sounds like too much gear to be too much fun but I can't decide what your work calls for.

The trip sounds great, and for sure with lots of photo opportunities. Do not worry about thieves as your gear is insured and much too heavy so that a thief can run away with it!

<p>

As the others said, you will most probably carry everything yourself. Especially in Vienna and Munich you will have to walk and in Paris/Munich you might also use the (crowded) subway. There is usually not much room to carry even normal size backpack, so don't even dare to think about a tripod! In european cities there is also not much room to use one. I would try to limit myself to some handholdable equipment at least for finding the locations and then come back on planned time with just the equipment you need. You did not say what you wanted to shoot, so your choice of lenses may depend on that. Be also prepared that it may rain all the time, so an umbrella holder for the tripod might be helpful.

<P>

I just visited the other places, but have lived seven years in munich, so if you need advice mail me.<div>009Pie-19530584.jpg.88d6c4018587eb865653abe9f8f0fba1.jpg</div>

Depends how you are planning to travel. If by rental car then the weight & bulk of a full Hassy kit won't be too much trouble, on the other hand , if by local transport such as trains, tubes, taxis, then leave it at home. In no ciscumstance should you leave it in your hotel room, and it will be too large to fit in a hotel safe deposit box, so you will have to take it with you into the dining room whenever you have a meal. Being ripped off in the street is not a real risk in Europe, unless you visit some particularly seedy places at night, off of the tourist trails. The bottom line is - if it's work, will the profit be worth it?

I'd say you aren't traveling to Bogotà, so pretty safe. Some large groups (often gypsies) in metros surround you and distract you in some manner, while they slice your backpack. Keep the pack in front of you, and consider getting off the metro. Also, never ever leave your stuff in the car. It WILL disappear. Other considerations: good luck using the tripod in Paris. For some reason, the Parisian police don't take it well, and can forbid you or worse, usually on the basis that you are obstructing public passage. <p>

In terms of gear, I'm like you I guess: terrorized of not having THE lens I need with me, so I carry alot more than I use. Better that than the other way around I figure. Have fun and bon appetit!

Maybe not nuts. Maybe too enthusiastic. Too much stuff. I lived in Italy for a couple of years and got the full kit stuff out of my system. I was also younger and able to carry the load. Go minimal. Nothing wrong with point and shoot, but if you are in a city and must use MF, take one wide and one normal lens. Then again, with a Hasselblad you stick out like a sore thumb.

Paris Metro (Nov. 2003): bunch of little kids came in and started jostling us. I covered my passport and wallet, and figured my Bessa R hanging around my neck was fairly safe. After all was said and done, all the cash was gone from my right hand trousers pocket, and I was wearing a coat that hung over that pocket. There was a reason I didn't push back more aggressively -- those little kids carry sharp blades to make sure their getaway isn't hampered unduly.<div>009Pnv-19533584.thumb.jpg.c467c6173013bb84bd996d948c10fe39.jpg</div>

Leave the 40, 80 and 140-280 at home. Consider a monopod (but you might not be able to do without three legs). Don't worry about being robbed... have insurance for the gear and for money use the AmEx travelers' cheque debit card and/or a Visa so there's not much financial risk for you.

Eat well. May you have good light.

Unless you're going to hire help to carry that kit I'm having trouble seeing you actually carrying AND using all that glass.

If I were you, I'd take a DSLR and a normal zoom (24-70L) and that's it. Easy to carry, not all that hard to hide under a coat and a lot lighter on the shoulders than your MF kit.

Yes you are a little nuts to carry this much stuff.Look into getting

a PacSafe,Its a stanless steel mesh net that you can put your

camera bag into and then lock it a welded part of your hotel bed

frame. I do this all the time in europe and have never had a

problem. Take a small back up camera for walking on the

streets, something that has a sharp lens on it. I carry contax G2's

,and a Konica Hexar AF ,but any quality light weight fast camera

will work. I put the camera on my shoulder and wear a light

weight jacket over the strap that hides the camera most of the

time. I have never been hassled and never missed a photo.I

carry this during my midday scouting while looking for photos. A

small digital camera like a Cannon G5 would work as well. If you

find a location that needs to be shot with the hassy then you can

go back at the magic hour. I also find shooting photos very early

in the morning in big cities is a good time. Not many theives are

up at that time.less traffic and people to shoot around . Look like

your are a aware person and people will leave you alone.

I think you are nuts to carry all of that. Simplifying and lightening will result in more

pleasure, more energy and awareness of what is around you as opposed to what is on your

back. that will translate into more perceptiveness of photographic possibilities.

I write from the perspective of someone who carries 20 or 30 lbs of gear regularly --and

gets paid to do it.

I've done the "heavy load" trip to Europe many times, and it's no fun. I'm constantly altering my kit to get a good mix of speed, coverage, and weight.

<p>

You'll most certainly need your 40mm, as the places you are visiting are crowded and cramped. Along with the 40, I'd carry either the 140-280 zoom, or just the 120mm.

<p>

For your "fun" stuff I'd add a small digital...something like the Canon S60 or similar.

<p>

Good luck and have a great trip.

I'd NEVER take the 140-280 zoom. That thing is a MONSTER. You'd be far better off weight-wise with renting a 250 prime. I think the zoom weighs something like 5 or 6 pounds - the prime 250 weighs under 2. You may want to consider getting TWO backpacks and splitting the load between your wife and yourself, especially if you insist on taking the zoom.

I'm going to Spain for 9 days in October, and also taking my Hassy kit. Most people think I'm nuts for doing it, but I've managed to compromise enough of the right things to get the kit reasonable. I've gotten a carbon-fiber tripod to help cut down the weight. My kit is a Superwide, a 500cm, 3 backs, a 50, 80 and 120. I'm probably renting a 250 although I may cave and buy an old chrome 250 (you can pick those up on ebay for about what I'll have to pay for a 2 week rental!).

When I went to Cambodia I dragged along my Contax 35mm rig in a similar sized backpack and a monopod, and I think the weight was close. That was tolerable, even for hiking up and down temple stairs that were built at a 70 degree incline, and tread-depth of all of 6 inches. I don't know your age or athletic inclination, but as someone in his 30s who is on the portly and out-of-shape side, I still managed in a tropical climate. I would also be less afraid in Europe of my camera gear growing legs of its own and wandering off, so long as you keep it under lock and key in a reasonably good hotel. The SafeSak or whatever other name for the device is another good suggestion, although I'd consider tying it to the bathroom pumbing if the sink isn't too drippy. Definitely don't leave it unattended in the car, even in the trunk out of sight.

"I'd suggest spending a day or two carting that stuff around in the style you expect to be doing it there"- Good advice, maybe you can get robbed before you go, and then travel light!

Seriously, I'd carry whatever I thought I needed. For fun travel, it'd be a lot lighter. If it was for work, whatever I thought was required.

You don't want to attach a Pacsafe to the bathroom plumbing.All you need is a wrench and it comes apart.Find something like a Bed frame that is welded,not bolted.I have been to Europe 5 times and each time I do go smaller. From Medium format at first ,I am now bringing a 6X9 folder (super Ikonta C) and Contax G2 Gear.I as most photographers who carry a bag, have a nice bulge in my 5 ,6 , Lumbar disc.Have a great time.

Patrick, I can't say if you're nuts to take that stuff or not. You called the photography part of your trip "work". If you are a professional and that particular outfit is what you need to get the shots you want I suppose you'd be nuts _not_ to take it. But if you're like me, combining travel with serious amateur photography, I would not want to be laden with that kind of photo equipment in Europe. Space is generally tighter in European cities and towns than in the USA. Walking the narrow streets, going into small shops and restaurants, getting on and off public transportation carrying a Hasselblad outfit like that in the kind of bag needed to hold it, would surely put a damper on my spirits. Then again you did not ask for opinions based on anything other than the possibility of theft. If you keep your bag with you at all times and remain aware of your surroundings, that should not be an issue. However it is a lot easier to do that with a small, high-quality 35mm SLR or rangefinder outfit than a full-blown medium format setup.

First let me say THANKS!!

I was not looking for feed back on what I am taking but with everyone?s comments your are making me pause and think a little. This is my small pack that I have taken from DC to Hawaii?.mind you I have not done any international travel so the observations on traveling in Europe have been most enlightening. I also have a butt bag that I can put the body with the 50 and 120 in and carry quite comfortably.(instead of a 35mm or small digital) What it comes down to is knowing what I am going to shoot and bringing just enough to do that?easier said then done.

Once again thanks for all the comments and the SafePac idea, that will be a big help.

Hilarious.

Yes - too much gear with no second body. LOL. And your not even on assignment. You still will need to carry film. Sheesh - are you on holiday or becoming a sherpa!

Skip the Safepac idea if on the street with it. Oh you won't get robbed - you'll get laughed out of most places! LOL! Not to mention you will stand out like a uber-tourist.

Your going to Europe - not Nigeria!!

After living and photographing in Europe for the last 5 years I can tell you that I have found that nomatter what you bring there will be a point that you say "I wish I had not left that at home." As far as theft, pick pockets are around but if you are smart about how you carry your gear you should be alright. In Germany I found several photo bags that do not look any thing like a photo bag, It may be something to consider.

On a side note be carefull with a tripod in Paris, security and police get kind of touchy about them and my tell you that you need a permit. And be prepaired to leave your cameras with the reseption desk in museums.

Patrick,

I'd recommend putting together, the lightest and most compact 2 or 3 lens system you can manage. Of your existing lenses, for me that would be the 50 and 80 only. I'd consider getting or renting a 150 in addition for a MAXIMUM of 3 primes, if you can get your wife to agree to carry one of the 3. Consider either a 40/60/150, a 50/80 only, or a 50/80/150 if you must bring a telephoto. You'd also be wise to bring a second body and a couple of cheap, disposable monopods. Definitely, leave the macro, huge zoom and expensive tripod home.

Then, I would "test out" a proposed rig by going to the nearest big city and hauling it around on foot for 8-12 hours or so, while shooting at least a half dozen rolls of film. If you felt comfortable, alert and productive at the end of a couple of trial-run days, then whatever you have should be fine.

Also standardize on only 220 film (NPH and NPZ for me) to keep time loading film to an absolute minimum. And make sure the wife has a good model 4-5 megapixel P&S, and a cache of 1 meg flash cards.