Am I at my limit

dougolupski

Hi all,

I just picked up my EF 300 2.8 the other day and went out to shoot my friends night softball game. My question is

regarding my gear and what I should expect. I normaly shoot surf photography so night time is not something I am

used to for sports. My gear is a Canon 1D MK2 with a 300 2.8, I have various other lenses but this is the combo I

want to know about. For the shot below I was wide open 2.8 and maxing out the ISO at 3200, average shutter speed

was 100 to 60. The shot had quite a bit of noise and focusing was an issue at times but I guess I want to know with

what I have is this is what to expect on a dimly lit field. Sorry if it is a little scatter brained but for some reason I am

having an issue articulating what I want to say.<div>00QfQJ-67765584.jpg.d0569aaf994f9c27f16d5084bd5d21e1.jpg</div>

It sounds like you are at your limit for that sports ground, it is all going to depend on the lights they have if you are shooting after dark. I do like the little bie ot motion blur on the feet in the shot above, did you try any of the pitcher? I think they tend to keep some parts of their body completely still while the arm whips through.

Doug

Yes you are at your limit. You can have the best lens and the best camera with the fastest iso and the steadiest

hand but the most important component of photography is light, if it a'int there you a'int got diddley. That's a useable

picture you took but don't expect miracles.

Steve