I have been printing some photos with Canon papers on my Canon printer. But, I am wondering about the alternative

papers, those not made by the company that makes the printer. Has anybody had success using papers from

companies like Ilford? How about papers sold by individual camera stores under their own line?

Like Patrick said, it's all in the profile. You're going to get the best results with a good profile for the paper -- in some

cases the manufacturer-provided profiles from the paper maker will do a great job, in others you'll really want to drop the

cash on a custom profile for your combination of paper and printer.

From experience, Harman and Crane tend to have very good profiles, Hahnemuehle has very good profiles depending on

your taste, Ilford (who are completely unrelated to the darkroom Ilford) has mostly good profiles that get a little weird in

specific tones, and Moab's profiles are... hit-and-miss.

You can often get by without profiles, but you'll really unlock the potential of any paper with a quality profile for it.

A good profile is a must, there is no way around it for digital printing.There are many paper companies, but there are some top ones to look

at in terms of quality. Hahnemuhle, Museo, Innova, Harman, Moab are some of the top companies. Hahnemuhle has been making paper

since 1584, you can bet the quality is amazing. Many printer companies get some of their paper from paper companies like these. Now

that you are looking past the manufacturers papers you are truly opening yourself up to a world of new possibilities. The next

step for you is to start printing on Fabrics (Jacquard) or Booksmart Fine Art Metals (real aluminum metal to print on,

similar to metallic paper or ilfochrome), Good luck, there are many papers out there, ask someone who has used them

all. Or just call me.

Kory