Alternative Nikon Repair Facilities, to Nikon USA (I am now paranoid)

spencer_hahn

I was browsing the forums and came across this:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006O0d

In this thread, a consumer bought what he thought was a USA version

of a D100, when it was in fact an import, and now he can't get

service. I've read a bunch of threads in the past several months

pertaining to Nikon's intermittent refusal to service ANY non-USA

versions of their products, which leads to my question:

I bought a used F5 from Roberts Imaging in Indianapolis (90-day

Roberts warranty). Should anything ever happen to my baby, how do I

know if it's a USA version? Obviously there's a way to track via S/N,

but is this list public (or leaked)? I'm thinking probably not.

BUT,

It's also happens to be leader-out modified, and that counts as some

type of 'service' right? So do you all think I'm safe? Or do you

think it's possible it was imported and they just didn't check the

S/N that time? I'm kinda freaking out here!

BTW, the S/N is 3020XXX.

Thanks,

-Spencer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian's right, and you may want to check your local repair shops for what they have to

say also. For simple repairs the local folks are probably going to have a better turn

around time anayway, and I doubt that they would be more expensive that Nikon's

techs. Since you're paying the bill in any event, you may as well do what works best

for you.

I would worry about your Nikon F5.<br>

<br>

I have a friend in the camera repair business who was unable to

buy parts for the F4 for years. These companies have ways of

making life hard for independent camera repair business. He told

me one company was holding on to parts list and charged a $25.00

"research fee." He knows what part to order but doesnt

know the secrete code. This is why people who think governments

do not need to regulate these pirates have no idea what they are

talking about. I dont remember which company charged this

fee or I would post it.<br>

<br>

A local camera store I frequent will not carry Kodak digital

cameras. I cant remember specifics but they just wont

deal with Kodak on these products. Ive also heard

complaints about problems obtaining parts from the repair

industry.<br>

<br>

I believe National Camera has put some legal weight on some of

these companies as far as unlawfully withholding repair parts.

Minolta got busted for trying to fix prices on the original

Maxxum and its lenses. These are not nice companies.<br>

<br>

<em>"Not even a local repair shop because Nikon has not

released the proper equipment and software to camera repair shops

to make repairs to the motherboard (as of 10/30/2003)." --

Bryan Wynacht,</em> <a

href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006O0d"><u>http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006O0d</u></a>

<br>

<br>

This is exactly the kind of problem my friend has had from Nikon

in the past and precisely why I respect neither Nikon Japan nor

Nikon USA.

You left out the part about Bryan having his camera for 9 months before he checked

on the warranty. Had he paid attention when he first got his camera, he would not be

in the position that he's in now. Of course that doesn't make as juicy of a story as

your version. A real tear jerker.

Why not post a list of all of the things that government does really well. That would

surely bolster your argument. I just love folks that want the government to run their

lives, and everyone else's. They can't figure out that if you don't like the way somone

does business that you can go somewhere else, so they just stand around and

complain. That always helps a lot. And some of those folks continue to buy from the

very companies that they don't like, that way they can continue to snivel.

Carl--was that directed toward me? If so, I don't see how that has anything to do with my question, so why include it? I simply said that reading this thread got me thinking about MY camera.

Everyone else--so if it was leader-out modified by NikonUSA, do you think the chances are good it's a USA version, or has anyone gotten their import leader-out modified without any problems?

BTW, Nikon USA's no grey-market repair policy started with the F5 (1996). If you have older cameras, I don't think they can even distinguish whether they are USA or grey. My most recent USA lenses have the prefix "US" engraved along with the serial number, but my 1999 24mm/f2.8 AF-D doesn't nor anything earlier.

Nikon Japan should end this stupid game and stop screwing their customers and they should do this without being force by any government. If Nikon Japan cared about their customers a Nikon warranty would be honored world wide no matter where the camera was purchased. This gray market stuff has been going on for years, perhaps two decades. It�s ridiculous, Nikon can dump products without warranty in the US and Canada and I�m sure elsewhere without a usefully warranty.

The cheap tricks these companies pull on independent camera repair businesses should end also but they don�t so laws are required. Some people are blissfully unaware of how they are protected and how unprotected they would feel if the world was run by thugs. A friend of my father�s remembered when his home in Kansas City was dynamited. His father was well liked so he was tipped off 60 seconds before the bomb blew. The target was the neighbor�s house. His family lived the others died.

At one time the cities of Italy were at war. Can you imaging Los Angles attacking San Francisco or San Diego? Once the whole world was like that.

"Carl--was that directed toward me?" --Spencer Hahn

Most likely at me because I�m very customer oriented. I was this way when I ran my own photo finishing business. I worked with open accounts and I could not afford to screw my customers as I relied on repeat orders from a fairly small number of customers.

My F5 has a little oval-sticker that says "NikonUSA." Any fool could have these printed. I don�t know in fact that I have a Nikon USA F5 because the warranty cards could be fake also. The store I bought my camera from was in business for at least 25 years and I trust them. I do not trust Nikon with cause. I�ve had problems with their network of authorized repair stations. I know at least some of the cheap tricks they�ve pulled on my camera repairman friend.

Yes Spencer, you should be paranoid. You made a mistake buying that body (((used))) whether its US or Grey. If Roberts sold you a used F-5 then the original warranty is no longer valid. No extended warantee is available for you either. Why? These Nikon warranties do not transfer with change of ownership. My local authorized repair facility has dialed me in on the repair hassles people now face. SO, They have convinced me to purchase new in the box nikon with full usa paperwork ONLY! They are the only facility and dealer of several dealers locally that have displayed "Nikon USA's stance on grey market repair sheets" available on their counter. Ever seen one of those? I even have a copy I got from them. They hand'um out if you ask. By the way, I know of only 1 ebay seller that reminds bidders of his used newer era nikon equiptment that clearly states in his auctions" he is not a authorized nikon dealer and warranties do not exist for his used items". Obviously this cuts into final sales dollars but he's honest and upfront when reselling Nikon. Lindy

I ran into a similar problem some time ago, the film counter inside the viewfinder of my Nikon F5 started to malfunction, I bought the camera at a dealer in Brooklyn that sold it to me supposedly with a Nikon warranty product for three years. I realized that this wasn't true when I tried to get the camera fixed at Nikon USA using my warranty, they said no, the camera is gray market, we won't even touch it for a fee. I contacted the dealer to complaint, and they sent me a warranty certificate to get the camera repaired at Mack Camera under warranty, I took my camera there and they fixed it properly at no cost.

Now, a gray Nikon F5 is still a Nikon product, and I think that what Nikon USA does not accepting these cameras even for "paid repairs" is wrong, they should repair them and charge for the repair. On the other hand, theoretically, a Nikon "gray" product doesn't come with a Nikon USA Warranty, but it's supposed to have Nikon's Japan International Warranty, which means that any Nikon Authorized service facility outside the USA is obligated to make any "under warranty" repairs at no cost, therefore I don't understand why they would also refuse to repair cameras purchased outside of the country as others here suggested.

My advise, contact Nikon Japan and explain this situation to them, or force the dealer to replace the product if it can't be fixed in the USA where you purchased it.

No Spencer, it wasn't directed at you. :o)

David is the one bleeding for Bryan, who shot himself in the foot (metaphorically) by

not paying attention to what he was doing, and now wants everyone to feel sorry for

him. An immediate dispute with his credit card company would have taken care of the

problem a long time ago.

Truth be told, you really have to look to find a grey market D100, the reputable

dealers, B&H, KEH, Adorama, etc., don't even list them, and only offer the USA

warranty models. But, if one lies down with pigs.................

Shun, I�m not bring in an attack in form another thread I�m pointing out that others know that Nikon withholds parts and I forgot software and my friend and his business has experienced exactly the same treatment from Nikon as the local repair shop Bryan Wynacht took his D100 to.

---

Lindy Stone,

Can you post a copy? I really like to see it ("Nikon USA's stance on grey market repair sheets")

Thanks!

Dave.

Wait wait wait...

I'm not asking if I got a NikonUSA warranty. OBVIOUSLY I didn't get a NikonUSA warranty. I hope most people interpreted the question as: "Should my camera need servicing in the future, will it be accepted by NikonUSA?"

I absolutely disagree that buying used is a mistake. A new F5 runs $2000, while a used one set me back only $800. Sure it's scuffed up, but *it still works* (for now). Some people would say "if you want a pro-level body, save up to buy it new...blah blah blah".

That's total crap.

For me, I don't see any reason to buy new when you can buy fully-functioning used equipment for 40% of the price. It's kinda like getting 2 1/2 chances to get a good one. Kinda. And usually it turns out OK the first time, and you save 60%! Again, kinda (that "brand new" feeling is not worth 60% to me). Also, if I can test it out in-store and they can back it up with a 3-month warranty then I have a warm, fuzzy feeling of pseudo-security.

Until those 3 months are up.

But anyway, no one's answered the second half of my question:

"If it's been leader-out modified, is it likely to be a USA version?"

The 90 days expire in early December. Do you recommend I get a Mack warranty before then or just risk it with faith in Divine Providence and the Nikon name?

Most of the new Nikon equipment that I bought from B&H was advertised as USA

Nikon warranty. I have noticed that the equipment has a serial number preceded by

the letters "US". I suppose this means United States which may be different from

imported models, I don't know.

Spencer, if something goes wrong with your F5 later on, you can always get it fixed by Mack for a fee, right? Unless your used F5 is not in good shape or you are planning to use it in rough conditions, I am not sure an extended warranty really pays. But that is your decision and "luck" is part of it.

""If it's been leader-out modified, is it likely to be a USA version?"

Spencer, this is strictly a guess, but, I would think that it was a USA warrantied model

that Nikon modified.

" The 90 days expire in early December. Do you recommend I get a Mack warranty

before then or just risk it with faith in Divine Providence and the Nikon name?"

At B&H, they state that Mack warranties must be purchased no later than 30 days

after the equipment purchase. But, as Shun has said, don't get too worked up over

this. I do understand your concern, but check the serial number, and then just go

from there. Again, your local repair shop may be able put you at ease, check it out.

<em>"If it's been leader-out modified, is it likely to be

a USA version?" --Spencer Hahn<br>

</em><br>

Or maybe Canada? Or maybe ___________ ? Perhaps it is likely USA

but how would you know?<br>

<br>

<em>"Do you recommend I get a Mack warranty before then or

just risk it with faith in Divine Providence and the Nikon name?"

--Spencer Hahn<br>

</em><br>

And what if Mack cant get the parts, specialized equipment,

tools and software?<br>

<br>

Additionally, <u>Nikon USA does not sell F5 or F100 parts or

specialized test equipment to independent service centers.</u> --Nikon

Dealer Information<br>

<br>

Spencer Hahns question is an excellent one and one everyone

buying used will have to ask. Not only this but Nikon wont

repair a lot of USA warranty products that are discontinued. I

have a Nikkor lens that I bought new with Nikon USA warranty from

an authorized dealer that Nikon wont repair and local

independent shops wont repair either. I bought this lens as

a close-out eleven or twelve years ago. Ive done minor

repairs or adjustments on about a dozen Nikkors but this is a

zoom lens. I now have a choice of attempting a repair that's

beyond my knowledge or accepting it as a $600.00 paperweight ($785.00

in CPI adjusted dollars). I wont know if its beyond

my skills until Ive repaired or butchered it.<br>

<br>

I suppose its my fault for trusting Nikon?<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

Spencer,<br>

<br>

If its an unconditional repair or replace warranty (all

cause) and if your conscience allows my friend has seen N65(s)

and such that he believes were placed on a driveway and run-over

because the owner no longer wanted the camera. He has to look at

them and say Yup! Its uneconomical to repair.<br>

<br>

My friend is working as a sub-contractor to a major chain part

time because the specialty camera retailer in whos store

his shop was located folded.<br>

<br>

If you can still get a Mack warranty it might be a good idea. I

presume you would want the camera repaired, the first paragraph

was not a "serving suggestion."<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave.

I don't think Nikon sells this gray market gear to the gray importers. It's originally given for an authorized dealer to sell, but because the gray importer imports it to US, while the Nikon warranty card says "distributor: Nikon Singapore" or whatever, then it can't be sold with that warranty as the sales receipt would be from a company based in the US, while the warranty is meant for the Asian market [say]. Thus the problem is not Nikon Japan's fault, since they cannot control this.

The problem arises because of the large number of unauthorized imports to the US, which forces Nikon USA to fight it by making life for the gray market items difficult. However, it's not fair for the second hand market, as it becomes very risky to buy a used item in the US. Fortunately this problem doesn't exist in Europe.

<i>If you have older cameras, I don't think they can even distinguish whether they are USA or grey.</i><p>

Unfortunately, that's not true. When I needed service on some gear I bought used (F3HP and some lenses; I buy all my gear used, or have so far), I called Nikon USA to ask if there was any way I could tell if it was imported (a great likelihood since I live in Asia-intense Hawaii). Their response? "No, you have to send it in. We'll make that determination. If it's grey-market, we'll send it back to you" [not repaired, of course].<p>

What <i>is</i> true is that Canon USA will repair equipment (and honor the warranty if there is one) no matter where it's from. Just one more example of how it is that Nikon execs pulled the amazing feat of losing their market dominance to Canon. A whole bunch of business types at Nikon need to be <i>fired</i>.

So Doug, did you actually send it in and get an answer?

Again, Nikon USA's no grey repair policy started with the F5 in 1996. If you have a 1980 F3, I kind of doubt that they still have records from 23 years ago, especially since computers were no as common back then.

No, Shun, I didn't send it in. The prosect of being without it for several weeks, only to have it possibly returned unrepaired - meanwhile I'm out the shiping charges - was not one I looked forward to. If it were true that Nikon can't tell where pre-F5 cameras were made, that would mean that nikon USA will repair <i>most</i> of the cameras out there. And yet that is the opposite of what they say they will do.

Nikon USA does not have a legal monopoly for importing Nikon product into the United States. If Nikon USA had they would exercise it. Nikon USA is not independent of Nikon Japan so how is it not Nikon Japan�s responsibility. If I sell something with my right hand and warranty that it is free of defects can my left hand refuse to make the promise good? This is ridiculous. Nikon Japan has a moral responsibility to it�s customers and it has the means to devise a system whereby every customer who legally buys a genuine Nikon product is covered.

When Nikon was imported by EPOI and not a division of Nikon Japan, EPOI had a legal right to an import monopoly and exercised it. US Customs enforced EPOI�s legal monopoly. Tourists could bring in a small amount of Nikon equipment purchased on vacation or business trips usually only on their person.

The gray market is not illegal, black market meaning stolen goods is. Nikon USA is using nefarious means to try and create a monopoly that it has no right to. This all goes back to the mother company. One person has no leverage against Nikon USA and Japan. We the people do. We the people should.