Alternate lens hood for Canon 200mm f2.8 II

aaron_lam

<p>I'm pretty sure you're right about what the hood is. My question is, why? The 200/2.8 II includes a dedicated lens hood designed for its 200mm field of view. I believe the top and bottom parts of the 70-200's hood are a bit deeper, so you'd get slightly better coverage for light sources just above and just below the field of view, but probably at the cost of slightly less coverage on the sides (if shooting in portrait orientation, of course, the opposite applies). It doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference.</p>

<p>I bought an alternate lens hood for my 17-40 because I use it on a 20D, and the 24/1.4's hood provides better coverage without vignetting on my 1.6-crop body. And for lenses which don't include lens hoods, I definitely believe in buying the hood (been there four times, done that four times). But the 200/2.8 II already includes the appropriate hood, and I just don't see much of a benefit to using the 70-200 hood on the 200. (Disclaimer: I don't own this lens and have never tried using this lens hood on it, so maybe I'm missing something here.)</p>

The 70-200 hood is designed for the coverage of a 70mm lens.

Putting one on a 200mm prime is dumb.

On a 20D DSLR you'd want a hood designed for a 300mm full frame prime lens. Canon don't make one (the one for the 300/2.8L doesn't count). Zoom hoods don't work - the one for the 28-300L zoom is designed for 28mm coverage.

If you want a small hood, buy an EF 200 2.8L USM. It has a built-in slide out hood. It

doesn't shield nearly as well as the MK II hood, but it's much smaller and always there

when you need it.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I was just curious. I might be picking up a used 200mm f2.8 mkII that didnt' have a hood. I would love to just use my existing 70-200 f2.8 hood if possible.

A lot of comments but has anyone actually tried this? I just realized that the 70-200 IS and non-IS hoods are both ET-83 (one B one C I think)... I imagine it would be the non-IS hood but can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

aaron

<p>The 70-200 IS hood is the ET-86; since it's a few millimeters too large, I'd expect that it wouldn't mount on the 200/2.8 II. The 70-200/2.8 hood is the ET-83; the 200/2.8 II hood is the ET-83B (the current hood for each is a II variant, but older hoods without the II would also fit; they probably have less effective internal flocking).</p>

<p>Like I said, I've never tried this. If you already have the ET-83 and want to try it on the 200/2.8 II, I'd imagine it will work, and will be better than not using any hood at all, but the ET-83B is in all likelihood a somewhat better choice.</p>