"Alt" lenses for D80?

<p>Hi,<br>

I want to play with distorted images on my D80. I'm thinking some sort of rubber "bellows" with some cheap/unusual lens like a door peepsite or a plastic lens from something. Any suggestions as to where to start? I'm sure this has been done on film, I just can't figure out how to search for old posts from the early 2000's when I used to read here all the time.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Ted</p>

<p>Homebrewed tilt/shift and soft focus lenses can be made by attaching an enlarger lens or +10 closeup diopter to one side of a light-tight bag bellows, and a T-mount adapter to the other side.</p>

<p>I've used the light-tight black plastic bags from boxes of RC or fiber enlarging paper. But any reasonable light-tight bag can be used. Carefully cut holes for the adapters.</p>

<p>The T-mount adapter forms its own jam nut. The adapters come in two parts, with the bag in between.</p>

<p>Likewise the standard jam nut for enlarger lenses can be used. For closeup diopters you can use a second clear filter of the same thread size, or remove the filter glass from the second filter and just use the threaded collar as the jam nut.</p>

<p>This type of homebrewed doodad is easier to use with the camera on a tripod. That leaves one hand free to manipulate the lens and bag bellows. It's best suited to landscapes, still lifes and stationary subjects.</p>

<p>The enlarger lens tilt/shift lens can be remarkably sharp and well corrected. Very useful for closeups with selective focus, shallow DOF effects.</p>

<p>The closeup diopter on a bag bellows, or macro bellows with rail, produces an effect comparable to older soft focus lenses like the Plasticca, or more recent soft focus lenses like the Spiratone Portragon, Sima, and original Lensbaby.</p>

<p>If you dig around Flickr you'll find illustrations for these homebrewed lenses and sample photos taken with them.</p>

<p>All kinds of 'filters' can be put on top of or in place of lenses, too. ;)</p>

<p>I once <a href="/casual-conversations-forum/00WWb7">tested claims</a> that certain cheap filters were no better than bottle glass bottoms.</p>

<p>Here is an image relating to that claim</p><div>00cLlM-545193484.jpg.6e312171dc9688ec321c0b4d08f81827.jpg</div>

<p>I fear I am compelled to suggest the bottle bottom filter guy needs to consider more expensive libations. Perhaps a bottle bottom from some 50-year-old Single Malt Whisky?<br>

I also must confess that like his photo a lot. I am going to have to try it, but from a prune juice bottle bottom.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...