Almost the Last Miranda

<p>Created in 1971, the Auto Sensorex EE was the first Miranda model to offer a shutter-preferred auto-exposure system, with the designated "E" series lenses, or stopped-down metering with the complex range of older Miranda lenses with their varying array of pins and levers. The original Mirandas had Exacta-style external aperture-diaphragm control, and the lenses that relied solely on this system will not function on the EE. The Sensorex EE was followed by an upgrade, the EE-2 and the "E" lenses were given a mainly-cosmetic makeover and designated "EC". Two further cameras followed, the RE-II and finally the new electronic DX-3, both using the "EC" lenses. And that was the end of the line.</p>

<p>The Miranda cameras were created by the Japanese Orion Camera Company, later known as the Miranda Camera Company, under the direction of a Mr.Ogihara, who set out to create a camera rather in the style of the Exacta, slightly less complex in some respects but with the adoption of a very similar and distinctive external aperture coupling. The cameras were very well built, and featured interchangeable viewfinder assemblies, an innovation in their day. A full range of accessories was offered and the cameras were seen as a challenge to the emerging market leaders, Nikon and Canon. Orion did not manufacture their own lenses, but depended on other optical manufacturers, notably Kowa. The US company Allied Impex Corporation took control of the company some time in the mid '60's, being major importers of Japanese photographic equipment and owner of the "Soligor" brand. From that point Miranda and Soligor are closely linked, with many lenses being branded with either name depending on their intended use, but the origin of Soligor lenses is another complex story.<br>

<br />The Auto Sensorex EE is a nicely-finished and well-balanced camera. It has a solid, high-quality feel about it, and everything functions smoothly. The viewfinder is particularly bright, with fresnel spot and split image, the metering information being displayed down the right-hand side. The horizontal-travel fabric shutter is gentle and quiet, though perhaps a little outdated in a 1970's camera. Speeds range from 1 second to 1/1000 plus B. The camera's interior is very well finished. This pic shows the large viewfinder eyepiece, the prism release button and the battery cover, a delightful little fitting in it's own right. The camera used the old 1.3v mercury battery, but the system seems quite happy with a modern 1.5v replacement.</p><div>00aRiQ-470513584.jpg.b17add62c110222298e1f265de25322f.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>The EE systems works well, with a choice of average or spot metering. Stop-down metering for non "E" lenses is a little tedious, with manipulation of aperture and/or shutter speed being used to bring the metering needle to a mark at the bottom of the scale. However, I used both systems, and exposures were excellent. I used a very fine 50mm Auto-Miranda f1.4 (5 groups / 7 elements) for the stop-down shots, and the kit 50mm Auto-Miranda "E"(4 groups / 6 elements) f/1.8 for the auto tests. Both lenses performed really well, as expected from past experience, both having the Miranda bayonet fitting, though Miranda could supply a range of adapters to fit other lensmounts to their cameras. Here's the "E" lens.</p><div>00aRiR-470513684.jpg.416f64da7126eeddfcad67290999e2f3.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>The removable prism had long been a Miranda feature. It slides off very smoothly, and the instructions suggest that the camera can then be used in waist-level mode. I guess this is possible if one has great eyesight, but there are a range of viewfinders that can be fitted, including a proper waist-level finder with built-in magnifier.</p><div>00aRiS-470513784.jpg.7864f742b629f8d7e7263d495298036e.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>Overall, it's not a particularly exciting or innovative camera when observed in retrospect, but it sold well and was a quality choice in terms of build and reliability. It's a shame that the marque disappeared; the name was eventually acquired by the UK Dixon's retail chain, but we won't go there... Here are a few pics; the camera performed well in our brutal low winter sunlight.</p><div>00aRiU-470515584.jpg.ce16f260785ac62207f5e96b361b24ab.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>Did the Auto Sensorex EE have the threaded mount (inside the bayonet) like the earlier Sensorex (which I see in the background in your top photo - that was my first SLR). I mostly used that with a threaded mount extension tube and adapter for the 50/1.8 lens.</p>

<p>Those are excellent samples you've found. I still have a soft spot in my <del>heart</del> head for that fickle wench, Miranda.</p>

<p>Yes, <strong>Lex</strong>, the threaded mount is still present. Mirandas <em>do</em> sort of grow on one. Glad you liked the post, <strong>Les</strong>; there's just a passing reference in the manual to using the screen as is, with instructions to "shield the screen from excess light, especially in EE mode". I don't think I'd want to try it, though.</p>

<p>Nice looking camera. It looks like it just off the camera store shelf. As usual you have provided<br>

us with some great examples of what the camera and lens are capable of when in skilled<br>

hands.<br>

Looks like fall is setting in down there.</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>SP</strong>, there was indeed an M42 Miranda, the Miranda TM, based on the Sensormat models and produced for a period of about 5 years from 1969. It often appears as the "Soligor TM". That's a great ad, <strong>JDM</strong>; one I hadn't come across before. Thanks <strong>Louis</strong> and<strong> Brian</strong>, your comments are appreciated. Good point about Pentax's spot metering, <strong>Les</strong>... You're right, <strong>Rod</strong>, we're heading into winter, down here. Brrrr...</p>

<p>Hi, Rick A very nice, detailed account of one of the last of the Miranda line, and some great photos as always. Your late autumn sunlight is very similar to what we're experiencing here in Perth.</p>

<p>Although Mirandas - ie, the kosher ones, not the Dixon's Ltd ring-ins - disappeared around 1977, there's still quite a lot of good information around on the Net for anybody wanting to read up further. For example, there's the Miranda Historical Society at <a href="http://www.mirandacamera.com">www.mirandacamera.com</a> . There's also a Yahoo 'Miranda Collectors Group' at <a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirandacollectors/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mirandacollectors/</a>, which has a lot of scans of interesting stuff like adverts (including some of the 'naughty' ones from the 60s), instruction booklets and roadtests. (Pete In Perth)</p>

<p>Nice series, Rick. I don't own any Miranda gear, but the Auto Sensorex EE would be my first choice. Yours looks mint, almost like it fell into a time warp in 1971 emmerged in present time. Back in the 50's when Miranda cameras started appearing they had a budget model to supplement their line (like Exakta did).<br>

Great results and thanks for posting.</p>