AlienBees lighting...

jmublueduck aim

I was going to tell you to put "Alien Bees" in the search window also until I tried it myself. As I suspected, much has been said about them, little has been archived.<p>

Alien Bees are your basic "starter" monolights made by a division of Paul C. Buff. Not a bad value for the price and they will take modifiers from another manufacturer (whose name escapes me at the moment). In short, you could do alot worse for the money.

I received my B800 today along with Large (32"x40") softbox and speedring. To my suprise the speedring is actually a Chimera speedring for the White Lightning Ultra series (which is compatible w/ Balcar and the Alien Bees) so if I ever decide to step-up to Chimera boxes I don't need to buy the speedring! The softbox is a Light Gear Softbox (another Paul Buff company) and while well-made is obviously not constructed to be torn down over and over (I just need it for my in-house studio and therefore won't be taking it anywhere). The construction is comparable to the Photoflex line of softboxes. The actual monolight is very small--about half the size and weight of my WL Ultra 1800's-- and in the softbox at a distance of 50" (the diagonal of the softbox) gives me a consistent f/16.4 @100iso on my Minolta IVF lightmeter. The built-in fan is very quiet, just a simple whirr that is easily ignored. I've just used it to take some back-lit photos of glassware and it never failed to fire on any of the 15 shots with my late-70's Mamiya M645. I'll use it to take some portraits in a week or so and if anything of note comes up, I'll re-post here. All-in-all I heartily recommend them for the beginning or intermediate studio photographer.

Jeremy