AlienBees B1600 for wedding lighting?

lori_cochrane

I am in need of additional lighting when I shoot groups at weddings

as well as lighting up the dance floor at receptions. I wanted to

get some opinions on the AlienBees B1600. Can anyone tell me if

this will be a good unit for me to invest in, if not can you point

me in the right direction? Thank you in advance for your time.

Lori

I've been eyeing alien bees myself. I know Chris M uses them and gets good results (check some of his previous posts). The main drawbacks I can think of are that you have to plug it in and I'm assuming it's heavier than a head with a sepparate power pack (easier to tip over?). Still, you can buy the battery pack and a radio slave for it and still come out cheaper than a single lumedyne setup.

Hi Lori - I use b1600, and couldn't be happier (unless they had auto something and refinanced your mortgage). cheap, powerful, reliable. a bit heavy and need to be plugged in unless you spring for the battery pack, but if you are doing indoor events, park em in a corner and bounce off the ceiling.

conrad

I use the Alien Bee's 800's at weddings are they are wonderful. The light color and intensity is perfect for what I'm doing, using two with umbrellas for the formals. I operate them at 1/2 power for my digital camera set at 100 ASA. I do have something else I use as a fill. The units are light, easy to set up, reliable and no problems using these two units now for over a year and a half.

Service from Alien Bee's is great!

Hope this helps you!

Hi Lori,

I am using one AlienBees 1600, excellent light, I use it with the pocket wizard. For formal I set it with an umbrella and/or a softbox depending on the situation and number of people. But at the reception I always bring it up to the ceiling to use as a fill background light. Excellent results.

Greg

A few issues back in Popular Photography $ Imaging magazine, Alienbees AB400 was tested and evaluated. I remember one of the Cons of the AB 400 tested is poor sensitivity to Infrared triggering device. Is it true? Have you guys AB users come across this problem? Thanks.

I use mine with Pocket Wizards as well, so no problems. They are almost as light as a head that's cabled to a power pack. Not a bad package for the price. I'v found the ABs to be a great solution for weddings. Compact, durable, light, versatile.

If you are concened about extension cables, Paul C Buff makes the vagabond battery pack. Might be a good solution for you. Just more to carry though! I haven't found anything a long set of extension cords can't handle, though. I carry two 50 foot cords. Some old churches don't have outlets near the areas I prefer to shoot in.

We're purchasing the Vagabond battery pack this summer. We're doing too many location shoots during the week where power outlets are nowhere to be found. I'm not sure if anyone here has a Vagabond they can elaborate on, but I've heard from all sources they're a great accessory to have. We'll see.

• 9 months later...

I have four B800 AlienBees, and use the Vagabond 150 with them. It works very well.The Vagabond will provide power for your entire studio setup, it's capable of powering up to ten lights. You can charge the battery in your car with the cigarette adapter, or use it as an inverter from your cigarette lighter.

Everything you need is self-contained in the bag thats included with it.

The most shots I ever took was 450 shots using two B800s. I don't know how much juice it had left though. This may be the only negative I see... It doesnt have a battery meter.I also purchased an additional battey, so I have a backup if I ever run dry. However that has never happened so far. The extra battery was about 30 bucks, so for the price, you should definitely get one even if you think it would be rarely used.

If your using more than one Alienbee just plug in a surge protector and plug your alienbees into it. It works well! I can't imagine not having it. It allows you to shoot places you would normally not be able to.

I enjoy scouting warehouses that have been shutdown, or going offroad somewhere remote and taking shots. The Vagabond allows me to take professional shots in those enviroments.

• 1 year later...

I purchased the travel set last fall (3 B800's, Stands, umbrellas, etc. and the Vagabond 300 power pak) I have to say that these lights are underpriced. I haven't had a problem yet and they get quite a bit of use. I will say that the carrying case for the light stands that comes with their kits is a piece and should be redesigned. I am mainly into commercial work and editorial, but I occasionally shoot weddings and plan on putting these lights to full use. I am going to put the light on a pole and have my assistant boom it up with a small shoot though with the power pak secured in his backpack.

I would suggest that if you purchase these go ahead and pick up some warming gels or a warming filter for your lens as these light are a touch on the cool side.