Alien Bees Cybersync Commander? Anyone try it yet?

<p>I'm just startignto work with the system. so far so good it will take a couple of hours of experimenting to get the hang of how to work through the menus and use the various options. I like how much information you have regarding power levels on various units. The color temperature reading is for straight un-modified light and the actual color temperature of the light illuminating your subject will be affected by the modifiers ( softbox, umbrella, bounce surface, diffusion, etc.) that you use on different heads.<br>

One hang up for me is that I wish the range were more like that of the Pocketwizards I am used to. An engineer at PAul C. Buff, inc. suggested changing frequencies (there are 16) to cancel possible interference from other 2.4GHz devices</p>

<p>Looking forward to the AB Einstein next month!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You shouldn't need the CyberSync trigger anymore if you're going to use the CyberCommander, but I don't see why you couldn't trade off if/when you need to. I just got the CyberSyncs and hope to get a CyberCommander down the road. Let us know how hard it is to set up with your lights, and what kind of lights you have. I just got two White Lightning X1600s, and according to Buff's site, it takes awhile to set up the CyberCommander with lights other than their upcoming new Einsteins (or whatever they're planning to call them now). Also, they have a 60-day money back guarantee on all of their products, so if you don't like it you can always send it back for a refund.</p>

<p>I have the old four channel wired controller (which sucks). Don't like running the telephone wires all over the place. Ellis for your range problem don't each receiver also act as a repeater? Ou should be able to double or even tripple your range by putting a CSRB+ at intervals to get further distance. It is essential the CyberCommander work with Alien Bees and White Lightings because I have no need to upgrade to the Einstieins at this point.</p>

<p>Yes, Devon that is exactly what I want to do. My Canon 5D2 is already heavy enough and i don't want anything else large on it. I got one of the CSRB+ recievers today and the little flash hot shoe with PC sync plug yesterday. I was able to remotely trigger my Canon 580EX flash with my current cybersync trigger and the new CSRB+ with no problems. The CSRB+ is quite a bit bigger than my current CSR and has another set of buttons for channels and groups. So far it seems extremely well made and is about the size and feel or a pocket wizzard II. I think I am going to order 3 CSR+ and the Cybercommander today even though it is on back order. I am going to see if I can get a credit on my old CSR to upgrade it to a CSR+<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>I'm glad you said that, because I've been considering getting a CSRB+ and the flash hot shoe (with the PC plug) as well. I absolutely love the CyberSync trigger and CSR+ so far, and would like to use my Nikon SB800 flash as a hairlight with my two White Lightnings until I get a third studio flash down the road. Let us know how long it takes to get the CyberCommander, and how much time it takes to set it up with your lights! They have the list of instructions on their site, which is fairly long but seems fairly straightforward as well.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I am competely impressed with my new cyber commander. You defenitely have to read the short manual to understand all of its features, but so far I Love it.<br>

1. The thing I like best is the flash temp. Now instead of auto white balance, I am able to dial the kelving temp into my camera exactly.<br>

2. remote control over modeling lights and power works great.<br>

3. Wanted to shoot wide open at F2.8. This told me I needed to set my camera at ISO 50, F2.8 1/250. Set these paremters into the commander and reduced light power until the flash meter reading was f2.8. Took one perfect picture first time.<br>

This low priced item has inabled me to have much more control over my lighting instead of experimenting and guessing. Well worth the low price and very well made with excellent features. Small and easy to use.</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>I just got my cyber commander a couple weeks back and started using it recently.<br>

So far, I am mostly really pleased with it, tho it was not all intuitive to set up.<br>

Lucky for me the guys at Buff were really helpful.<br>

<a href="http://glamourphotography.co/gear/paul-c-buff-cyber-commander-cybersync-initial-set-up/">Cyber Commander Initial Setup</a> is a bit of a trick, until you get the hang of it. <br>

Still, so far I am happy with my purchase of the Cyber Commander and 4 CyberSyncs, the plug in models.<br>

Tho I am still learning to use them. They are not plug and shoot. While the features seem awesome. They take some bit of learning.</p>