nels

Today I received this new book by Alex Webb (published by Aperture) and had a

chance to quickly flip through it.

In keeping with his other excellent works, this one features a series of

stunning saturated color photos, many of them with Alex's trademark style of

finding an off-center, often oblique, frame divider. Here we also have a few

double dividers. One of the compositions blends this well recognized style of

his with what I could only describe as a possible salute to Nachtwey with a

pair of legs dangling off the top left quadrant. Quite fun.

What I have always found intriguing and appealing about Alex's pictures is his

unique ability to see an apparent - often abstract - form of order in an

otherwise highly chaotic candid scene from life. In fact, this particular

body of work appears to play with the highest amount of abstraction than any

other work of his that I am aware of.

I like it.

>>> The smell is very nice too, but I don't know if others here share my proclivity to

smelling new books.

I do. Especially Daido books printed in Japan - pretty strong aroma and very tactile to the

touch.

www.citysnaps.net

Brad, I just smelled Daido's "71-NY", and agree 100%. The Daido smell is not something I'd linger on for very long, but this Webb book smell is something worth spending a few minutes with up close. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Daido stuff is B/W and this one is color...hmmm...the paint smell...

Yeah, I've got 71-NY - it's pretty ggod. For a real treat take a good whiff of Shinjuku, it'll

make you loopy for a few minutes.

Nah, that color stuff is awful, like Thunderbird it'll kill off a few million brain cells...

www.citysnaps.net

For an appealing smell off a B/W book, try smelling the "Ansel Adams at 100". Not the paperback version, but the hardcover tritone edition in linen slipcase that helps preserve the smell for a long time.

I haven't smelt Webb's ISTANBUL yet -- I'm waiting for a copy to arrive -- but I'm looking

forward to smelling it. The aroma of new photo books is amongst the sexiest smells in

the world.

The pictures themselves can currently be viewed on the Magnum website -- AW is on the

front page at the moment: http://www.magnumphotos.com/

One of the amazing things about Webb is just how distinctive his style is. I'm sure that

ISTANBUL will rank with his best work. Whether it will smell as good I can't yet say.

(One of the best recent smell/sensory experiences offered by a photo book has to be

Elliott Erwitt's mighty PERSONAL BEST volume published by TeNeues. The book is so large

that you can pretty well close its huge double-page spreads around your head -- you can

inhale the aroma and still see the pictures. It's probably illegal...).

--alun

My therapist was trying to talk to me about these smell issues, but the last time I went in for my regularly scheduled appointment, I saw him passed out in front of his book case with a large hardcover book lying open on his face. Instead, I ended up in a "session" with his attractive assistant, and she now wants to come over to my place to smell those limited edition Michael Kenna books.

Hello Nels, When I graduated from Loyola University in New orleans in 1972 I made my way to a workshop in Millerton, N.Y. I flew to NY, took a very scary subway ride, got lost, finaly got to the Port Authority (more scary in those days) and took a bus. I ended up hitchiking the final way to the Apeiron Workshops. Bruce Davidson was the teacher and I was in complete awe of who was going to be the teacher. As it turned out, Alex Webb was my room-mate. He was a very serious undergraduate from Harvard at the time. Everything then was Tri X. I have watched his grand success. I have always admired, in this world of "commercial" journalism, how his exquisite personal vision has defined his work. He once wrote that the "journalism gets me there." It is what he has gotten after he is "there" is what we see. I think That's great...Robbie

• 1 year later...