Albuquerque Ballon Fiesta Tragedy

There was a tragic death at the Balloon Fiesta today when a hot air ballon hit power lines north of the launch site.

One person fell to his death and the other is critical. The Fiesta started in 1972 with 17 balloons launched from the

parking lot of a mall. Now it boasts 500-700 balloons. It has had its share of tragedies, the latest last year.

The Fiesta is considered to be "the most photographed event" in the world. I lived a few miles from the site years

ago, up on a slight hillside. I went two times but it became claustrophobic. So I'd wake up on the weekend big

launches (mass ascensions), turn on local TV and get out the binocs and watch it from my living room.

The first time a balloon came over our house and hit the propane I nearly had a major accident as did our dog.

"There is occasional talk about moving it way west of the city. Sadly the feeling is fewer people would drive 45 minutes to see it, but you are correct."

Like where? Once you get to the Rio Puerco - you're at the pueblo, and then after that there's Canoncito and another Indian Reservation, and then you're at Acoma Pueblo - so, you're saying somewhere west of Acoma....? Now that would be a real draw....drive for an hour or more and be there at 6:00am ....or an hour earlier if you have a balloon...why not just move it to Grants at that point? Oh, yeah...no air service and 4 motels....and, wait a minute you're right at the edge of another Indian Reservation....