Alberta Rockies - Off the beaten path areas?

peter_k4

<p>I've backpacked through the rockies for several days during the last 2 summers. I've done all the typical big tourist spots between banff and jasper. I'm looking for advice as where to go now that man not be the most well known. I've heard going south of banff down the mountains to radium hot springs is quite nice. I've only got 3 or 4 days, starting from edmonton.<br>

Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Driving down to Radium is okay, but not nearly as spectacular as the Icefields Parkway. Be aware that most of the valley got burnt in 2001-2002. The charred trees go on for miles and miles, valley bottom to ridgetop.</p>

<p>Suggestion. How about a 4-day backpack in the Jasper area. Tonquin Valley, Jasper Skyline trail, and Berg Lake are spectacular. Each one of these takes about 4 days.</p>

<p>Suggstion. Drive down to Yoho park, to Takkakkaw falls. There's a walk-in campsite 400 m (1/4 mile) from the end of the road. There are wheelbarrows to help you get your stuff to the campsite. Then go do dayhikes from there. There's enough to keep you busy for 3-4 days. Similar option is Lake O'Hara in Yoho. A Parks Canada shuttle bus drives you up a dirt road and drops you off at a campsite. Trails radiate out in every direction, and there's a few pretty lakes near the campsite.</p>

<p>Go slow, pick one area, and get to know it. Have fun.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd agree with the advice that recommends focusing on one area. For backpacking, the entire area is relatively well travelled — but you do leave a fair number of people behind with the first day's walk. The few folks you'll see will not interfere with photography once you're in backpacking country instead of within day hiking range.</p>

<p>It's when I've carried my tent a day (or several) and found a nice spot to pitch it and set a camp then spent time day hiking into the surrounding mountains that I've discovered the most rewarding time behind the camera. I realized that I am never going to be able to look at all of it — so I might as well take the time to really see the places I do get to.</p>