Airport security

alastairanderson

A common misconception is that the X-ray machine used to check carry-on items will damage film and electronic media. In actuality, all modern carry-on X-ray systems are considered film-safe. This means that the amount of X-ray radiation is not high enough to damage photographic film. Since electronic media can withstand much more radiation than film can, it is also safe from damage. However, the CT scanner and many of the high-energy X-ray systems used to examine checked baggage can damage film (electronic media is still safe), so you should always carry film with you on the plane.

How Airport Security Works

Additionally, take the rolls out of the plastic canisters before placing them in the ziplock so the only thing in the bag is the film rolls themselves. Also remember any film in the camera needs to go in the clear bag as well.

Edited by Moving On
  • Like 1

A common misconception is that the X-ray machine used to check carry-on items will damage film and electronic media. In actuality, all modern carry-on X-ray systems are considered film-safe.

• In many places around the world, they will NOT do a hand inspection
  • their x-ray machines are neither "modern" nor in good repair
  • even in the US, they may make you open every single film canister
  • most importantly, ONE pass may not do harm, but multiple passes are cumulative...

• Like 2

No question you've travelled much more than I.

Though I am not sure how one can be made to remove film from canisters if they have already been removed and placed in a clear plastic bag.

Do you mean actually removing the film from it spool?

WATCH the TSA inspector.

Without telling me, I had one TSA agent remove the 120 film boxes from the bag, rip open the factory sealed boxes, tear open the foil pouch, then started to pull out the roll of film..before I saw what she was doing and yelled STOP !!! Based on her behavior, I was afraid that she would unroll the film, to make sure it was film.

That one experience converted me to digital, when I travel.

• Like 1

If you refrigerate film the last thing you want is to have the factory seal (film can or foil wrap) broken. Once it is broken, you can't refrigerate it safely again due to the risk of condensation. Even before 9/11 I had one local sheriff's deputy insist on putting my film through the x-ray machine on the way to photograph my niece's wedding. This was obviously an argument that I wasn't going to win, so I didn't bother. When I arrived in California, the first thing I had to do was to shoot a roll of the 800 ASA color neg to make sure that my film was OK, which it was. After shooting the wedding I had the C-41 processed there to make sure that cumulative damage didn't occur. When I went to Italy a couple of years ago, two trips through the x-ray machines didn't seem to harm Tri-x 35 mm. This was a vacation, and I wouldn't have been happy if negatives had been ruined, but it wouldn't have been a wedding or elaborate commercial job. I wish there could be a way to seal film containers that would be terrorist proof--I have no idea what that would be.

I don't even want to think of what they would do with sheet film.

A basic problem is that many people don't know what film is, since they were brought up in the digital world.

And training will help only a little, cuz they still don't know what film is.

They need first hand experience, of shooting with film and seeing the negative, with a LOT of explanation and help, to understand film.

Anyone have any tips for taking film through the X-ray checks?

I've travelled quite a bit from upstateNY/USEasterncoast to and from Italy and central Europe.

I've carried 120 roll film (in unopened boxes, 50 rolls commonly) and 35mm cassettes (out of the original boxes but inside the plastic cans) through security searches many times. In each case, I've had the film in a single layer within a "Tupperware"-type transparent film container. Not once, coming or going from the US or back from Europe, has anyone at the security point even asked to open the film containers. The agents in Europe were more interested in having my laptop out where they could view it.

I have had reason to object to rude behavior from TSA agents (only and especially in Newark NJ) and with the extant problem( having nothing to do with what was in my luggage but with my clothing) was quickly resolved by the adults in the room who set things right quickly.