Airport Security and digital equipment

We all know that film can be damaged by Airport security systems,

but is there any evidence to support damage to Digital Cameras and

memory cards etc. by x-ray equipment. We know what the Airport

reaction is on this, but what is the reality.

Airport inspection equipment has no effect on digital cameras or memory cards. I've even had two cards go through the laundry, including the dryer, with no discernible effects.

Secondly, we don't "know" that even film is affected by carry-on x-ray equipment. There is a lot of forum chatter on this subject, but no objective evidence. At less than 1 milliroentgen (the legal maximum), effects are unlikely. Below a certain threshhold, depending on the type of film, the effects are not cumulative. I've had ISO 400 film go through 4 inspections with no observable effect - half in central Europe.

Even X-ray film is not affected directly. There are embedded phosphors, which react to X-rays by producing visible light, that actually expose the film.

Checked baggage is subjected to much higher doses of X-rays, which will definitely affect un-processed film.

I've had damaged film with one pass through a machine at a cruise terminal. However, I've passed some rolls multiple times without damage. Surfice to say that damage is certainly possible, and probable with multiple passings...as I'm sure you know the damage is cummulative.

<p>

It's not just the airports any more. Security x-ray machines are now present in train stations, many famous, popular public buildings, monuments, government buildings, etc...It's too much to take a chance anymore.

<p>

Digital cameras and memory cards have no problem with this.

I believe X-rays are safe for digital, but I'd avoid those magnetic metal detector-wands. I don't have any personal experience but I suspect one of those could really mess up most digital media. Best wishes . . .

The only threat to digital equipment at airports occurs when your attention is diverted while you remove your shoes, belt, and other items so the screeners can inspect them to help keep the skies safe and secure. A digital cameras may then become particularly attractive and vulnerable to theft, a threat from which the airport "security" system provides no protection.

Edward Ingold , may 09, 2004; 11:57 a.m. wrote

<p><i>Secondly, we don't "know" that even film is affected by carry-on x-ray equipment. There is a lot of forum chatter on this subject, but no objective evidence. At less than 1 milliroentgen (the legal maximum), effects are unlikely. Below a certain threshhold, depending on the type of film, the effects are not cumulative. I've had ISO 400 film go through 4 inspections with no observable effect - half in central Europe.</i>

<p>Huh?! Ofcourse X-ray equipment affects film, there is no doubt about it and ofcourse there's objective evidence. Not all X-ray equipment is film-unfriendly, but some certainly is. Maybe in the USA the X-ray machines emit less than 1 milliroentgen, but if you travel around the world (especially poorer countries), don't expect X-ray machines anywhere to conform to those rules. Last year my mother had ISO 400 film ruined by the X-ray machines that they use to check your bags when you go on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty (New York). So don't count on X-ray machines being safe for film.

<p>Digital cameras and sensors are completely different than film, and just because film is affected by X-rays, there's no reason to assume that the digital equivalent of film (memory cards) is affected by it too.