Air BNB Experiences

Are any of you hosting AirBnB Experiences related to photography? I am about to start and am looking for advice and thoughts on what it's been like working with them. My listing hit a glitch that I'm working on with them. I'm not that happy with the "unsolicited edit" they appear to have made.

Thanks,

KBev

If you are working with AirBNB's as commercial clients, they are free to select and edit your photos as needed for their editorial purposes, unless otherwise specified in a written contract. Good luck at that! If I were in their place and your ego intervened, I would say, "Thank you. We'll call you if we need you." The ;more attuned to your customers' needs, the fewer edits will be required and the better your business will become.

charge a rate so you don't care what they do to your photos.

My problem with our industry and places like AirBNB is that if a national motel chain contacted you to photograph their property, even if they only charge $50 a night for a room, it would be completely understandable to charge over $3,500 per day for the interior photography minus any type of national print ad licensing. Yet AirBNB comes along and freelance photographers, who have all the bills of running a small business, think it's completely acceptable to let them(AirBNB) dictate the photographer's rate and at such a ridiculous low amount.

Shooting low budget jobs is NOT a stepping stone it's the way to pick up bad habits that can be debilitating both to your creative workflow and your business. Earning the same amount of money (especially if you account for the expenses /insurance) one could spend the day working as an assistant to an established pro and actually learn something.

--------------

My Architectual Photography:

Architectural-Cinematographer.com

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I do NOT think Ed's and 2d's assumptions are correct: the OP is NOT being hired by AirBNB to photograph property. My understanding is that the OP wants to list his services to host/guide photo-related experiences in his city for consumers who go to the AirBNB website.

To the OP: exactly what "unsolicited edit" did they make to your listing? Was it because your listing including verbiage that was in violation of AirBNB policy and/or your listing agreement with them?

Edited by photo_galleries

• 2 months later...
First of all, I do NOT think Ed's and 2d's assumptions are correct: the OP is NOT being hired by AirBNB to photograph property. My understanding is that the OP wants to list his services to host/guide photo-related experiences in his city for consumers who go to the AirBNB website.

To the OP: exactly what "unsolicited edit" did they make to your listing? Was it because your listing including verbiage that was in violation of AirBNB policy and/or your listing agreement with them?

Sorry - I missed the notification on this post. you are allowed to add a few photos in the listing. The way it was a few months ago, you had to give them to photos and they had to add them to the listing. The text and stuff was all yours, but they had ot add the photos. When I did this, they changed the cropping, rejected 2-3, changed the order, and "locked" the listing, so i couldn't reorder them or change the crop. What was worse, their "tech support" was awfully slow, so it took 2 weeks of back and forth for them to get it how I wanted it.

They kept referring to photo guidelines that weren't on the site! I did get a copy and htey didn't want 'posed' photos. Also a dumb poicy for a PHOTO SHOOT experience! 8-)

They've since change the interface, and now the host can edit and add photos on their own. Thank god...