Agfa Karat 1V

<p>Took my Karat 1V to an old machinery rally last weekend as I have just had this camera serviced. The Karat I used here is the last hurrah for the venerable series of Karat models that started just before WW11 and ended with my camera in 1957.<br /> Originally the Karat took 35mm film in "Karat" cassettes which wound the film from one cassette to another to get around the hassle of rewinding. This led to the mildly successful Rapid system from the sixties.<br /> The Karat 36 introduced in 1948 did away with this system and reverted to normal 35mm film. One unusual feature of the later Karat's was the unusual rangefinder system where the whole viewfinder image divided for focussing.<br /> All Karat's featured this until the model 1V which uses a conventional rangefinder spot. I mst admit that I prefer the spot to the other, which while effective takes some getting used to.<br /> These cameras are quite compact too, with a fold away front operated by a lazy tong system. The winder is a bit odd too, being on the end of the camera and operating backwards.<br /> Ido like the Karat's though, they seem better built than a lot of Agfa cameras, though the early models do suffer from Agfa "gummitis" where the lubricant hardens to a point where nothing operates. With a bit of TLC, they are very nice to use and fortunately Agfa blessed them with a fine range of optics.<br /> My model 1V comes with an F2 Agfa Solagon, but you could get them with a Xenon or Heiogon in F2, or a Xenar in 2.8. I have Karat's with the Xenar, Heliogon and Solagon...noreal difference in IQ between these.<br /> These shots were taken at the annual Old Machinery Rally at Bega, which features old tractors and stationary engines.</p><div>00c1q3-542761584.jpg.07b009385aa77deafd86e88911566b2a.jpg</div>

<p>Nice series, <strong>Tony</strong>; looks just like home! Love that Holden ute in #8. These old machinery rallies are great fun for the blokes, though there's often a conspicuous absence of their female partners... I find the Karat IV's really attractive, a blend of funky and elegant, if that's possible. Of the two I have, one has the f/2.8 Xenar and the other, the f/2.8 Solinar, possibly the better lens of the two. Great punchy images from the Pan.F. Thanks for the post.</p>

Nice birght day. Great punchy results with PanF. This is a bit more contrasty but the conditions were also rather bright. Nice even tones using Pan F and Pyrocat. I too, in my somewhat limited exposure have not been too impressed with the Agfa build quality. I've read some positive things about their folders and this Karat series . Nice to see some results in the right hands. From your description I am a bit intrigued now about the older RF series.

Your results are nice and sharp that speaks well for the lenses. Thanks for showing two of the models and featuring this no so often heard from survivor of the semi 35mm formats

<p>Thanks all, the conditions were a bit challenging, but by overexposing and under developing in Pyrocat the tones were fine. Although I have used this camera with the Rodenstock, Schneider and Agfa lenses, can't really see any difference in IQ. Maybe a little less contrast with the Heligon, but there may be a little haze in there.<br>

JDM, I only shoot steam tractors with a Leica you know :)</p>

<p>Thanks Rick, I must have deleted all mine, great looking engine...and of course you are right..they are properly called Traction Engines...damned colonials!<br>

The rally I was at this time has no "Traction Engines", that is at the nearby Bombala Steam Rally which is coming up soon again actually...I'll try not to use a Leica this time :)</p>

<p>Sad that as a former occupational safety inspector all I can think of is - yikes, all those unguarded spinning, crushing, mutilating death things. But, otherwise, yup, good photos... of spinny, crushy, mutilatey, death thingies. Our coolest camera for documenting unguarded spinny, crushy, mutilatey, death thingies was a Canon TX, not nearly as cool as the Agfa Karat.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The weather was hazy bright so I loaded up some Pan F+, developed in Pyrocat HD."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good choice. I was going to say, the moderate contrast and detailed blacks are perfect for these photos - very classic looking b&w for classic machines.</p>

<p>What exposure index, by the way? I've had good results from Pan F+ at EI 25-50 in Diafine, but the results weren't as fine grained and smooth as yours.</p>

<p>Thanks Les, no one was killed or maimed you will be glad to hear. There is a wire fence keeping us from getting too close, and they do have safety officers roaming around.<br>

I rated the PanF at 25 and developed in Pyrocat for 11 minutes instead of 14. Pyrocat, like all staining developers, gives very fine grain but still retaining good sharpness.</p>