take a picture,press the button on the left,and the door opens,and out

comes the lens and bellows. Its the type of camera that makes you

think. It has no meter,you have to use "sunny f16" rule. It has just

a viewfinder to compose your shot. Focusing is done by "guess-

timating". Depending on which lens comes with the camera,you have to

remember not to shoot to close to the sun(flare). Like I said,its a

camera that makes you use your head.

I partly disagree.

I have an Isolette. Like most folder, it is very compact but the viewer is awfully small if you wear glasses. If sunny 16 works well (with B&W films), it is not the case with 'guess focussing' unless you shoot always close to infinity. I have complete it with an auxiliary viewer, an optical rangefinder, hand-held light-meter and a modified hood. I even found filters for it.

Size and weight is a key factor in choosing a medium format system. I have renounced the extensive possibilities of SLR because the added pounds (or kilos) of 2 lenses, 2 backs , viewer and accessories are too heavy for me. Of course, that is not the case for every one: you end up carrying as much as you can.

For me, the TLR is the best available MF (Yashica Mat, Minolta Autocord, etc.). It is not that much more bulkier than a folder. I love the waist-level viewing and 6x6 format (not everyone do) and find the results superior to most folders.

My points are: A- TLRs are also great to carry around. B- If folders and TLRs are often mentionned as entry level MF, they can become your definitive choice.

The Isolette that has a rangefinder is obviously better if you can get one. One advantage of this type of camera is that, in concept, it's almost like a small press camera. Very simple. A Rolleiflex TLR is a rube goldberg contraption in comparison. The weakness is the original bellows: almost always has pinholes unless it has been replaced. The other weakness, as was already mention, but as I experienced myself, is the tiny squinty viewfinder. This is DEFINITELY a problem is you wear glasses. Also, if you want to be in the same league as a Rollei TLR, you have to buy an Isolette with a better lens. They came with Agnars, Apotars and Solinars. A Solinar is the best and most like the Tessar or Xenar you will find on the basic Rolleiflexes and Cords. It's a great little camera to carry around, that's for sure, it and others like it: various models of Balda, Franka, Zeiss-Ikon, etc.

Or you could get the Russian version, an Iskra :-). Decent bellows, sharp lens, bright finder & coupled rangefinder. Only weakness is the film winding/blocking/counting mechanism. If you can find an Iskra II with working meter, you're sorted!

All Isolettes and Records with the shiny bellows are in need of replacement. So, if they need replacement, replace them and move on.

BTW, Agfa changed bellow suppliers around 1956. The later cameras, of which there not that many, do not have the problematic bellows.

Ditto on the bulk of a TLR kit versus an Isolette III kit. Which would you rathaer carry all day?

The f/3.5, 75mm Solinar is a world class performer. I've had absolutely stunning results with that lens. The Synchro-Compur MXV shutter on the last version of the Isolette III is an EVS shutter. The aperture is coupled to the shutter dial.

The big drawback on the Iso II and III is after using them for an extended period, upon switching to a Rolleicord or Rolleiflex with a Beatty bright screen will usually cause euphoric screams such as, " I can see, I can see, Thank God I can see, again."

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

I have only run a few rolls throught my Isolette II with the Agnar lens, but over all I like it for what it is. If I want technically perfect photos, I will work with my 4x5. If I want to shoot fast with very accurate focusing, 35mm is the ticket. If I want a nice walking around camera that is light, fun to use, and produces good results, the Isolette goes in my pocket, loaded with HP5 usually pushed 1 stop.

I thought the dull looking bellows was a myth, but it is true. My copy was the latter model with the dull looking bellows, and they are in perfect condition. No light leaks. A user when delivered from the evil Eb.....y.

Use it for what it is. Enjoy it. But don't try to make it something it isn't.

I tend to agree with ER. After a few years of using TLRs for MF shooting I acquired a plain Jane Isolette on a lark. It was in pretty good shape but a bit of a fixer-upper, needing the focus ring unstuck and patching to some pinholes in the bellows. I patched the pinholes using flexible acrylic paint from an arts and crafts store intended for painting on t-shirts and other fabrics. I figured it would remain flexible enough to last awhile and is cheap and easy enough to touch up as needed. So far it's worked very well and beats having to replace the entire bellows.

Since getting the Isolette late last year I haven't carried my Rollei or Yashica TLRs once for casual or street photography. The Isolette is much more pleasant to tote. I don't even need to carry a camera bag if I'm wearing jeans with cargo pockets. Now I use the TLRs only for "serious" artistic photography where precise focus, ultimate sharpness and other factors are more important than portability.

I don't see any problem with the Isolette viewfinder other than fairly pronounced barrel distortion that makes precise alignment with linear surfaces such as buildings difficult. The finder is bright enough and I don't wear glasses when shooting so eye relief isn't a problem.

Before getting the Isolette I'd considered a Holga but doubt I'd get one now. The only disadvantage to the Isolette is that even the lowliest model with the Agnar lens and Pronto shutter produces far better photos than the Holga. So if you want that look of vignetted corners with severe spherical aberration, don't get an Isolette.