AGFA DISCONTINUES 120-FILM!

patric_dahl_n

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really bad news! I will miss Scala. Digital "photography" (in the absence of a better word) turns out to be more harmful to photography than I thought. Let's hope that Fuji and Kodak can benefit sufficiently from Agfa's move to keep their 120 films alive for many years to come. Unfortunately, there is no alternative to Scala.

Bad...on the bright side I've had some time to perfect my FP4+ processing due to the lack of Agfa BW in sheet sizes (and APX100 in 120 is/was curiously expensive here.)

Some lab in Denmark quit their Scala line, so the future of Scala processing here in Finland (Agfa used to send the film to Denmark) is unsure. I've never shot Scala, so maybe it's good that I don't know what I miss, but it's interesting to see how this situation develops...

Sad ! I like there film most ! And used a lot of Optima. That said, it is not surprising as

their film was already hard to find. I think they were killed by bad distribution more than

by digital...

<i>Joachim Inkmann , apr 13, 2004; 07:03 a.m.<br>

That's really bad news! I will miss Scala. Digital "photography" (in the absence of a better word) turns out to be more harmful to photography than I thought.<br><br></i>LOL!!! But things like this will always happen until forum fellows won't refrain from asking the "professional's" opinion, disregarding the difference between a professional and an artist.<br><br>Too bad. I was already missing Agfa Portriga to death, now there's something more that I will miss. Oh, well, many others missed Platinum paper long ago, but the world is still here. Anyway thanks, digital photoCRAPhy.

FROM AGFA UK:

This is from AGFA UK:

Dear Mr. B,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Medium format films are currently under review by many manufacturers including Agfa but we have made no decision to discontinue it. The vast majority of 120 film has traditionally been bought by professionals but it is also this market that is turning most rapidly to digital technology.

There is no denying that 120 sales are declining.

Taking these market trends into account we will be examining the situation very closely to determine future manufacturing capacity. Should we take a decision to discontinue 120 format, a proper announcement will be made in the Photographic press.

I hope this information is of help.

Regards,

Philip Miller

Corporate Communications Manager

Agfa UK

Just great. After reading several threads by hopefuls that digital won't completely kill off film we get this news. Ilford also mentioned they won't make 220 film anymore. Sigh...I'm really starting to think I made a bad decision blowing several grand on a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II. Agfa may just be the first in a domino effect of film just completey going away. I was planning to hit some photo swap meets next month to pick up another 120 back but maybe I should start saving up for a 10K digital back for my camera if ones available and I can get it this cheap :-/

Regards,

Marc

David B, this is what Robert Öbrink told me in his email:

"Hej,

Ryktet talar sant. 120-filmen kommer att utgå ur sortimentet

under året.

Mvh

Robert."

(The rumor is true. The 120-films will dissapear from the sortiment during this year)

When I asked him if it's only in Sweden, he replied: "120-filmen utgår H E L T." (The 120-films will dissapear C O M P L E A T L Y).

That's all I know.

I'm shocked how soon one of the big companies would make such a decision.

Do you all think that 120 b&w films will be reduced to niche companies like

Efke, Foma, and Maco in a few years? I might have to invest in digital sooner

than I thought. This is bad timing, I just bought a used Pentax 6x7 (although

for very cheap...) :.-(

Can't say I've ever used Agfa 120 film, though I have used some APX100 in 4x5 - nice, but not quite what I wanted..

Some of us use Foma and Efke/Maco almost exclusively, so this news doesn't hurt too much. Now, Ilford discontinuing 220 film, that hurts - but as long as they keep 120 around, there is an alternative to Foma & Efke/Maco.

Kodak/Globo-Chem can kill off whatever they want, but I hope HIE stays around a good while - has anyone else noticed HIE dropped $1.50 in price at B&H????

This shouldn't be a surprise. When Agfa dropped Ultra 50 (which sold reasonably well in 120) and brought out Ultra 100 a year later in 35mm only, it was obvious what was going on. A local source of film has been unloading their 220 (which I don't use) as the bottom has dropped out of the business for that. I wouldn't expect the major players to keep more than a couple of different films over the next two years.

Agfa has been retrenching its business for a long time. It tried to sell off the film part of its

business a couple of years ago but got no takers (at least none who'd offer what Agfa

thought the business was worth) and upon keeping it started trimming back on its film-

related product lines and introduced cost savings and layoffs.

Competing film producers will now be evaluating the market to decide whether they can

make money by going after customers about to be abandoned by Agfa, or whether they

believe the Rubicon has been crossed, the market is shrinking rapidly, and that they need

to follow Agfa's lead.

<i>"Competing film producers will now be evaluating the market to decide whether they can make money by going after customers about to be abandoned by Agfa, or whether they believe the Rubicon has been crossed, the market is shrinking rapidly, and that they need to follow Agfa's lead."</i><br><br>On the other hand the other companies could see it as a chance to take over the market Agfa had.

I wrote an email via the web form om agfa.de and wanted them to confirm the information I got from Agfa Sweden. I <b>truly</b> hope that Öbrink at Agfa was misinformed. But I don't know what to expect to hear from Agfa Germany since they haven't gone out in public with the discontinuation yet.