Agfa APX 400

I recently shot a few rolls of Agfa APX 400. All of the images are portraits of fair complexioned Caucasians. I

am wondering whether anyone has any advice as to processing chemistry and times. I was planning to do them with

D-76 for 12 minutes but I thought I would ask whether anyone had any better ideas. Any thoughts would be most

appreciated. Thanks in advance.

When Agfa changed its 400 speed b&w film to APX 400 it looked more grainy to me. If you shot 35mm APX 400 then using Rodinal is only good if you really like more grain. If you shot the film in 120 size and are not going over 11X14 then Rodinal will show more grain but the look is still nice. Shoot a test roll of the film before you develop the portraits. Try it in D-76. If you like the result then you can develop your other rolls.

Adox ATM49 (former Calbe A49) is by far the best suited developer for APX400. It is somehow related to the old Agfa Atomal (based on a p-phenylenediamine derivative), which itself was highly recommended for ASA-400 Agfas back in his days.

It is the only developer (AFAIK) that gives full speed with APX400, has compensating characterics, and is fine-grained with good sharpness (although APX still won't be as fine-grained as Tri-X, e.g.). Use it diluted 1:1 for the recommended time.

Really. Use it. You can't do better for portraits on APX400. APX400 is not-so-great in other developers (much grain, few shadow detail); Rodinal is good only when you want maximum grain with good acutance. But then, it will give you only 200-250 ASA.

Regards

Georg

Thanks very much indeed for all these responses, and in particular to you Stephen for making the effort to post your photograph.

From what I've learned here, I suspect that Rodinal is likely not going to work for me as well as D-76 for 12 minutes. I don't dislike grain in portraits, but I don't know that tack sharp grain will do for this set. My subjects are a young and very attractive couple, and she is expecting their first child. I had the notion that the classic look of black and white would be something that they might like. II did a few rolls of the Agfa and one roll of HP5+. From what I see here, I think that I'll do fine with D-76.

Thanks again to you all.

One last question: Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether 12 minutes is the right time? I used TTL metering placing the lit skin tones in Zone IV as is my wont. I will likely print using both diffusion and condenser enlargers and print on Ilford's Multigrade RC (at least to start).