Again ! The 10 Minutes time,....

pnital

Lately I was not very active, trying to resume my activity,the 10 minute time is a real obstacle.

And as I think ,we have discussed it in the past,and asked for more time,as for members that English is not in

every day use, it is an impotrtant need, not only because of the typos, but especially if I find later on that could

have styled a sentence better in order to explain better my idea without changing the contest.

Please Admin, can you think of a change?

You have an <b>unlimited</b> amount of time in which to edit and revise your posts <b>before</b> you hit the Confirm button. The words that get posted to the thread don't change from the way they're presented in the preview.<P>

I won't repeat the arguments why there is only a short time to revise your post after it has been added to the thread because none of those have changed since previous discussions on the this topic.

<p>Thanks Mike for your rapid answer. I will let Pnina respond, if she wishes so, but personally, if I understand rightly your kind answer, you suggest, that we, non-english speakers and writers, to grow up and better take responsibility for our actions and not hit the Confirm button before the text is right!</p>

<p>I don't know how much experience you have in writing in a foreign language, but my experience is, that I can read a foreign language text multiple times and still not see even the most banal grammatical faults like for example vague pronoun mistakes, which render the text difficult to read for readers. Many times we only see such mistakes too late to correct it, after having hit the Confirm button. Yes we are not perfect !<br /><br /> But I understand that it is not your problem.</p>

<p>Anders, I occasionally fall victim to what you've described, so now I use Mike's suggestion if a reply gets long-winded or requires more careful consideration. It's still not bulletproof but it forces me to be more careful which also helps improve my sentence structure and grammar.</p>

Thanks Mike for your answer, you can be sure that I read carfully what I have wretten , but as the language is not in everyday use,many times happand to me,after I wrote somthing and would like to find a better word to express myself,as well as refraine from typo when I'm writing. Going to the dictionary( which I do very frequenly) and when I am back ,the 10 minutes are gone...

It is very frustrating, and I have uploaded the subject again, because it is only at PN, and I think that as an international site,admin has to take it into account.

My grammar is atrocious when I'm in a hurry to get my post into a thread. Over the years I've learned to

adopt Mike's approach before hitting the Confirm button. That has worked pretty well. Sometimes I'll use my

computer's text-to-speech feature to listen to what I have written as another check (on a Mac, select your text and press option-

escape).

There are too many opportunities for shenanigans with a longer timeout period.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Brad, in my foreign languages that I think I master more or less, I would accept any pigeon type of english or american, as long as it seems to be meaningful. In writing, it is another story for many of us, I think. At least for me my Cartesian background takes over.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My own path to mental health has included the wise words of the Serenity Prayer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>While, from some points of view, the 10-minute limit presents a difficulty and a frustration, the question was asked of and answered by Josh years ago when it was instituted and it has been asked of and answered by Glenn as well, a couple of times earlier this year, as a matter of fact. So I think it's fair to say the question has been answered clearly. Not liking the answer or not agreeing with it is very different from it not being answered. How many times should we expect it to be answered yet again? I have long sensed that Administration considers it a closed matter. There are several PN closed matters that frustrate me. I've moved much more toward acceptance than toward continuing to try to change things. Like I said, we each find our road to healthy compromise and ways of dealing with things over which we have little or no control.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>It's necessary to close matters in order to move forward. Consider the current site redesign requiring thousands of decisions each carrying risks and uncertainties one way or the other; someone has to make those decisions and consider them final or the job will never get done. </p>

<p>This reflects the difference between art and business; the former requires no action or conclusion to the endless and repeating discussions. The latter does. </p>

<p>I understand the frustrations some folks experience. Perhaps an option could be considered to allow subscribers a longer edit window to edit their posts. Subscribers have more of an investment in the site and are generally less likely to abuse the privilege. Most of the really abusive instances I can remember over the years were by new members or disgruntled folks who were mostly trolling - posting something provocative to get a reaction, then editing their posts to feign innocence. It doesn't happen all that often.</p>

<p>But I'm only concerned about my own typos and brain farts when my posts are mostly tutorial in nature. Often I'm surrounded by distractions while writing and tend toward mistakes like inserting a word someone just spoke to me, rather than the word I'd intended to write. So I'll often re-read and revise an instructional post a few times after submitting it to be sure it's clear for the intended person. I think the edit window is 20 minutes now on the discussion forums, which is usually enough time for edits unless the site hangs or my ISP has problems. The portfolio comment section should probably have a more generous edit time window, at least longer than 10 minutes since PN site hangups, ISP dropouts, etc., can eat into the edit window time.</p>

<p>But for my casual replies I could care less about missepllings, tpyos, ect. Besides, the grammar police, trolls and OCD types need occasional feeding.</p>

<p>I've never gotten used to the 10 minute rule. On other sites where I post, I often go back and change sentence structure and correct grammar and spelling days after posting. I agree with Fred in as much as I do not believe this rule will change at PN. I cope by writing fewer comments on the site and trying to keep my comments short so that I am more likely to catch all of my errors before posting.</p>

<p>An observation I've made of PN's forum culture (as it relates to writing style) is that Once a post is made which is thoughtful, well reasoned, and well written without pretension, it sets the tone for followup posts that will tend to discourage one-liners and skew toward a more fruitful exchange. It's a good thing, but it also tends to discourages those with less-than-scholarly command of the language but have equally valuable thoughts to share. </p>

<p>I just watched a Steven Pinker talk titled "A Sense of Style" that touches on this issue. It indirectly relates to the 10 minute edit-limit by offering insights into the challenges we all face as writers. <br>

<a href="

Michael, thanks for the link,, (sorry it took me a long time to answer )

I'm sorry to admit that even though I tried to hear it twice, the writen explanaton is so fast that I could not follow what the scolar (thats what I think he is?) wanted to express.I saw as well some short-cut words that I, not speaking the language in everyday use, did not understand what was the meaning of those words...

I hope my explanation about the difficulties I and others in the same state are having,and thats why I thought to upload again the subject...

I will be really sorry if nothing will be done, by admin , to make things easier for us.