AFP lenses, VR and tripods

richard_driscoll

Having just ordered a Nikon an AFP DX 10-20 zoom with VR I downloaded the manual to see what it says about tripod use with a camera where you can't turn off the VR. I expect to handhold this lens but I was curious. It says that VR is generally recommended when on a tripod! This is in marked contrast to the advice for my most recent AFS lens, the AFS DX 18-55 zoom which says turn the VR off when using a tripod but leave it on if the tripod head is unsecured.

Clearly this AFP lens is different. Is the design of the VR system different or does the lens/camera combination have some means of tripod detection?

By the way the manual for the replacement for my little midrange zoom, the AFP DX 18-55 VR also tells you to leave the VR on so it's not a focal length issue.

I notice this is also the case with the 70-300 AFP (at least the FX one). That's new, as previous versions always said to turn it off on a tripod. I've been unable to find any definitive answers on whether there's tripod detection built in, but I suspect there is. Nikon isn't very informative about this. Supposedly the 55-300 DX has tripod detection, as does the 200-500, according to Thom Hogan, but his article predates AF-P. I also don't know where he got his info, as the instructions for the 55-300 say to turn off VR with a tripod. When using this lens I never noticed a measurable difference either way, but the lens was not very consistent, so hard to test well. Nikon is kind of non-committal about the 200-500, saying it might help or might not, and elsewhere that the VR picks up slight vibrations on a tripod, but doesn't say whether it's best turned off if there are none. I generally leave it on.

Since I can't turn off the VR on the 10-20 with my D7100 I can't test it. I haven't exhaustively pixel-peeped the 70-300 but it seems not to make a difference.

Supposedly the 55-300 DX has tripod detection, as does the 200-500, according to Thom Hogan, but his article predates AF-P. I also don't know where he got his info, as the instructions for the 55-300 say to turn off VR with a tripod.

Strangely enough, for me, it was Thom Hogan's review of the 10-20 that first raised the tripod issue. He seems to differ with Nikon since he says they "equivocate" about the need to turn off VR and says he did need to turn it off!