Affordable vintage rangefinder recommendations

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by gordonbennett, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

What a hoot - I had been allowed to use Dad's Leica M 3, but this was my own first 35mm, Christmas '60 or '61, can't recall. I got a lot of good photos with it. Gave it to a Girlfriend a good many years later when I had a pair of Nikons. Thanks for the memory!

2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Had one of these as well. Quite a good camera and the Leicavit type advance was blindingly fast with a bit of practice. Gave it to the same Girlfriend at the same time as the Anscoset. Regret the Ricoh a touch more, though I still have the film Nikons, which I don't use enough. "Parting is such sweet sorrow"!

3. I really like the Canon 7s, and the Canon P. Between those two, I'll grab the P most of the time. Canon rangefinders.jpg

4. One of the better deals would be a Canon QL17 GIII with a non-functioning meter (for the price drop). The GIII is a fully functional manual camera w/o the meter and battery. If you like it and have it cla'd, the meter might be repairable, it which case have it adapted to 1.5 voltage. I bought one a long time ago, bgn from KEH, and never did have the meter repaired. It is still a fave of mine. Very nice lens, too.

5. On the Canonet QL17 GIII: a "suspect" place to look for on a non-working meter is the wire connected to the battery compartment. It had corroded and separated on mine. Requires removing the battery compartment and soldering the lead back on.