Affordable Nikon Macro Lens

max_sherry

Anton Russell - I agree with you wholeheartedly about the 50/60mm macro lenses being too short for much other than photographing inanimate objects like coins and stamps (you really do want the longer length if you are shooting critters), but the question of AF vs MF has always made me chuckle. While I own both the Nikon 105 and 200mm macros (both of which are AF),I daresay that anyone actually shooting macro soons learns that AF is sort of a useless feature.

I also second the motion for the truly outstanding Tamron 90mm/2.8 macro - just a to die for performer optically, but not in the same class as the Nikon's build wise (although most of us do not use our macro lenses to drive nails).

I have also heard good things about the Sigma 180 macro, although I have not personally used it. I tend to prefer longer focal lengths (my 200 gets 4 times the use as my 105), but I have not been overly impressed with the Sigma line of lenses in general. Although thinking about it, the only Tamron lens I have ever used that I felt excited about was the above mentioned 90 macro.

I am sure others will chime in with hands on experience with the Sigma.

Oops - looks like no one has yet mentioned the Tamron 90. I can tell you that it is a remarkably sharp macro lens with a true 1:1 image. I cannot tell the difference looking at images shot with my Nikon 105 vs. my friends Tamron 90. It ain't cheap, but it is less expensive than the Nikon and except for the plasticky feel, it is a real gem.

<i>The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 (Tokina made), and the Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro lenses are extremely good. As is the older Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 (Kiron clone, made by Kiron). </i>

<p>Months of lurking on EBay finally paid off when I picked up a Vivitar Series 1 105mm/f2.5 AI-S macro at a decent price. Goes to 1:1 on its own and takes 52 mm filters! I am impressed by the first quick shots out of it.

<p>-A

I own a 55 Nikkor-Micro AIs f2.8, and use it as my everyday walk-around lens... it's bitingly sharp at all distances up to infinity. Unless you need a faster lens for "available darkness" shots, this lens (or the newer 60 Nikkor-Micro AF f2.8) could be a sufficient all-around normal lens for you. I've seen this lens offered on eBay ("Buy It Now") for $175. It only focusses up to 1/2 life size; for life size you need to use a Nikon extension tube (PK-13??) The new 60 Nikkor-Micro AF will focus up to life size without the need for an extension tube.

I have the same Phoenix/Vivitar lens myself. It's cheap in the hand and noisy, but delivers good results as a macro lens and a portrait lens. It does hunt quite a bit in low to moderate light.

Eventually, it'll be replaced by a Nikkor, but it does the job for now.

Chris

• 7 months later...