affordable ball head

darin_schaffer

<p>Has anyone used the Cullmann 40180, I have seen a couple short reviews of it and it seems like it may be an affordable option to the $$$$ ball heads. Also, debating between the gitzo g2220 and either the bogen 190(3001)pro or the 055(3021)pro. Weight is somewhat important as I am planning a trip to Zion with several 8+ hour hikes in the plan. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. I will be using a Nikon D80 with the biggest lens being a 55-200. I will also be using a Mamiya 645 pro with the largest lens being a 150 f2.8. Eventually I may get some bigger glass for both but nothing in the extreme.</p>

<p>I have the 055xb and it is a really nice tripod. It isn't the lightest, but I didn't have a problem lugging it over my shoulder for an hour or two the other day shooting in the snow. If I had it slung/attached to a backpack it would have been easy. The 190 is even lighter, though it won't generally reach full height without extending the center column. With the 055 at 6'1" I can look through the view finder without hunching with the center column collapsed, the 190 being somewhat shorter I would either need to hunch or extend the center column. It may be a good option for hiking/backpacking if on a budget however. The 055 will deffinitely accomodate more weight if you ever get heavier lenses later, my 055 is very solid. For a ball head I would suggest the Bogen 486rc2 (what I also have), it offers good support and again can hold more weight then what you are looking for, but wouldn't you hate to have to upgrade if you got a heavier lens later? The newer 190 and 055 are a bit lighter and have slightly improved features over the 3001 and 3021 if that maters. For example the 055 has 'wrapped' upper legs on 2 legs which the 3021 doesn't have and it also weighs about .5lbs less. Total for my 055xb and 486rc2 would have been about $220, but I got a demo 055xb a little cheaper so the total was $200. Not super cheap, but it doesn't put that huge a dent in your wallet and it is a good setup.<br>

The rc2 quick release setup isn't the best ever, but it does work well and is very solid and quick to operate and extra plates are only $11. I currently have 2 plates, one for my 70-210/2.8 or 400/5.6 and one for one of my bodies (or one on each tele or one on each of my 2 bodies). Eventually I need to get 2 more plates so I can have one on each body and one on each lens.</p>

<p>Hey Matthew, thanks for the great response, I think both the 190 and 055 series offer great bang for the buck and I like them both very much. I am only 5'9" so the height of the 190 wouldn't be too big of a problem. I finally found a decent photograpy shop( can't believe a city the size of Memphis only has one decent shop) and they had both the bogen/manfrantto's and the gitzo g2220. I have to say the gitzo really got my attention. It seems to be in between the weight of the 190 and 055 but the flexibility it gives you is amazing. I haven't seen anything like it. I have looked at both the 486 and 488 and they seem pretty decent. I am a little concerned over camera slip, I have just read so many reviews/comments about the lesser expensive ball heads slipping. I plan and doing some long exposure photography so I want something rock solid, even if it is a bit of over kill. The cullmans have me a little intrigued because they are very affordable and from what I have read seem to be a very solid unit. I was looked at a gitzo gh2780 and wow, very small, very light and seemed rock solid but also close to $300 which is much more than I want to spend. Time to go shopping on ebay in hopes of a great deal I guess. Thanks again for your comments and happy shooting.</p>

<p>The Gitzo G-2220 is heavy, short and quirky (universal leg/column angles). The build-quality is well below that of other Gitzo tripods. If you need a "universal" tripod, look at the G-2227, which is CF and very well made. Otherwise, I suggest you look at a conventional tripod. For a 400mm lens, you need at least a Gitzo Series 3, or a Series 5 for better stiffness in the wind.</p>

<p>The best buy in an effective ball head is probably the Arca-Swiss Z1 without all the bells and whistles. You can get one with a screw-type QR clamp for about $350. You'll spend twice that on cheaper ball heads before you give up and get an Arca.</p>

<p>Hi Edward,<br>

Thanks for the advice, I would love the 2227 but a little out of my budget right now, I did find a great deal on the 2220 and bought it on ebay(haven't got it yet) I was able to look at this at the one photography store here that actually carries separate tripods and heads, and while certainly not as nice as the CF model, I think it will do great. I will keep my eye open for a deal on a lighter weight one though for the long hikes. Ball heads I am still undecided on. I have heard great things about the z1, RRS, markins, acratech, kirk. They all seem very nice. I do like the friction control of the z1 and don't really need something with all the bells and whistles. How were the older versions of the arca swiss, there is one on ebay at about $200 just wondering if that is a good deal for a 10 year old ball head.</p>

<p>My G2220 came yesterday and I couldn't be happier with it. It is solid as a rock in just about any position you could dream up having to put it in. I found the build quality to be extremely good and everything works as smooth as silk. It would be nice if it were a little lighter but I certainly don't think saving a pound to 1 1/2 pounds is worth an extra $200-$300. I picked up a used tatalux for $85 for those times when I need to go really light, and that is very well made and solid for a tripod of that size and weight. So two tripods for $265 not too bad. As for ball heads, I bought a very cheap $50 Fancier FT-6664H(hasn't arrived yet) for the tatalux as there will never anything very heavy on and it won't be my primary pod. As for the primary ball head, I am leaning towards a gitzo gh1780, supports 22#'s and weighs about 10-12oz. nice, solid and low profile. The Markins Q-3 is my second choice, RRS is just too $$$$ and the Arca Swiss while problably the best is $$$$, a little heavy and a little over kill for what I will be putting on it, and lastly I still have my eye on the Cullmann 40180 it has gotten very good reviews from what I have seen and could be a steal at about $80.</p>