AF-S DX VR Nikkor 18-200 mm auto focus problem

tsypkin

<p>My AF-S DX VR Nikkor 18-200 mm auto focus problem has developed an interesting problem. I wonder if you could make any suggestions regarding the cause; I am thinking whether it is worth it to repair the lens. Here are the basic facts:<br>

The lens: AF-S DX VR Nikkor 18-200 mm auto focus problem; age - about five years old; <br>

The Camera: Nikon D 90<br>

Settings: VR - on, AF on, AF-A or S, aperture f/10<br>

Problem: the lens would not focus when targeted at distances more than 10 meters or so when the focus length is more that 55 mm. When targeted at objects at less than 10 meters away, the lens focuses even extended all the way to 200 mm. The weather today was not sunny. I tried focusing manually for objects far away, and did not seem to work terribly well either.<br>

For control, to ensure it is not the fault of the camera, I experimented with Nikkor 70-200 mm VR set with the same settings, including f/10. I encountered no problems focusing. <br>

This has never happened before. Do you think the problem is big enough that the lens is not worth repairing? <br>

Thank you.<br>

M. Ts.</p>

<p>Sorry- I don't have an answer but wanted to post that I've also recently had focus problems with my 18-200. My problem is that, more frequently than not now, it just will not autofocus. Switches on the camera (D-200) and the lens are set properly. Other autofocus lenses I have work fine, so it's not the camera. Are there others out there with autofocus problems on this lens (mine's about the same age)? I too am not sure it's worth repairing. Thank you- Bob</p>