"AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 ED" it just survived 4 moths.

sbilly

I've got this lens since November 2006, it was indeed a very good lens in the

beginning. However, last night shooting on a tripod, the autofocus started to

fail. The Silent Wave Motor, became a train engine, and the lens stopped

autofocusing correctly. One thing is for certain, I've never abused from this

lens, I use it on my D-200. And it looks like it wont work properly.

The other annoying thing about my story, is that I live in Guatemala, and there

is no "repair shop" for Nikon...

If I use the manual focus it works all right. But as some of you might know,

this DX lens is not the best at manual focusing. The focus ring is uncomfortable

and way to small...

I use mine a lot. It never has focused well. Mine will focus well under ideal light, but now I do most of my focusing manually. My fancy D80 is turning into a fully manual camera in my hands which is what Nikon probably should have made in the first place. The lens was a very cheap component of a kit in my case, so I'll enjoy it until it dies and be perfectly satisfied. I'll probably buy an old used metal zoom when I have to replace it. Around here it would probably cost more to fix than its worth. I haven't even looked, but there may be a warranty. Ask Nikon. They are obligated to service their products to an extent.

If I would ship the lens it could take moths for it just to go there. Though optically it still works perfectly, I'll have to find a new "substitute" for this lens.

I'll probably buy an old fashioned 50mm 1.8 AF nikkor. So I can use it with my D-200 as a 75mm.

The really funny thing is that I have a 18-55mm Af DX, which I bought used, and has a true silent wave motor. Optically speaking it's an ok lens, however the 55-200 DX is so much better.

By the way Nikon has made a new DX, my replacement, I'll have to save some money to get it. I believe it's because of the new "D-40x"

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_vr_zoom55-200mmf_4-56g_if/index.htm

Thank you all for your answers.