AF-S 60mm and AF-S 105mm with SB-400 flash

joseph_gledhill

<p>You will typically get unwanted shadows with any single flash mounted on directly on the camera. Best lighting is achieved with two off-camera flashes to the left and right of the subject and even in height to the subject. There are also ring lights that mount on the front of the lens that offer even illumination that cost about the same as an SB-400. Perhaps someone who ownes one can comment on their effectiveness - I have never used one..</p>

<p>Get Nikon TTL compatible flash extension cord and get the flash off the camera. Unfortunately SB-400 cannot work as wireless remote, so the cable would be your only solution. Also see what is minimum working distance for the SB-400 to operate auto iTTL exposure.... this is common mistake for MACRO shooters.</p>

<p>I have experimented with my SB400 and various lenses(not the 105Micro, but similar sized lenses such as ZF100, 24-70, etc)), and agree with the suggestion that you'll probably need to raise(via a bracket + extension) the flash above where it sits on the hot shoe. Plus I used a diffuser to 'slow down' the light intensity emitted by the flash. A single source may be fine for extreme close ups. Experiment and see.</p>

<p>The 105 will give you a more optimum working distance ~12" than the 60 ~ 6". You'll have better flash control @12" and since most speed lights minimum focus @ 2' ittl, consider Manual mode. With the 60, The 400 can be used handheld, under the lens barrel with a cord. You will be too close to use any type of bracket,( too much angle, and you'll still get shadows. Mechanically, and optically, the new 60 is much better than the old one for sevral reasons . (see the sens survey: <a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/">www.naturfotograf.com</a>, outstanding work!). If the R1 Closeup sys is in your budget, you'll need the new 60, but overall, the 105 will be a better macro lens choice, and makes a great portrait lens as well. A vintage sb 21 ringlight will auto exposure if you can find a good one. There are several non nikon brands that you will have to research to see if they will fit, & auto expose. I've used the sb800 under the old 60/ D200 in command mode. It works fine up too about 3" extended lens to sublect, in ittl if you decrease the auto flash exposure in camera, &/or in flash. It's quite a pita doing macro on living things bec they don't pose well. I have a 105/R1 on order for all the reasons discussed above. Good luck.</p>

<p>Re: Diffuser:<br>

A ringlight produses a diffuse. shadowless even distribution of light on the sublect bec the light travels the same distanse to the subject, as its source is adjacent to, and surrounding, the lens. A diffuser on a regular strobe, would add many DiIFFERENT ANGLES OF LIGHT, TRAVELLING AT DIFFERENT DISTANCES, to the already off-angled bracket mounted strobe. You can't turn a diffused strobe into a ringlight. </p>

<p>"consider Manual mode" - SB-400 will not work in Manual mode on your camera.</p>

<p>"A vintage sb 21 ringlight will auto exposure" - it will not do auto exposure with your camera, since was made for film type TTL camera flash system. See: <a href="http://www.bythom.com/sb21.htm">http://www.bythom.com/sb21.htm</a> , though perhaps it could operate in Manual mode, both the camera and flash.</p>

<p>Recomended cords for your SB-400 flash are: SC-28 or SC-17.</p>

<p> </p>