AF-S 105mm micro VR DOF preview clicking when manual focusing

Matthew Brennan

<p>A friend has loaned me his AF-S 105mm f/2.8 VR micro lens for a try out to see if I want one myself.</p>

<p>When I'm shooting close to maximum magnification I switch the lens to Manual focusing and simultaneously twist the focus ring and engage the DOF preview to determine what I want in/out focus.</p>

<p>As I do this I can hear a very light feathery click inside the lens when the DOF preview is engaged and I twist the focus ring - something I've never experienced in a lens before. Is this sound just aperture blades adjusting according to focus point or something else?</p>

<p>I'm only trying to determine if this is either a fault in this copy or if it's a trait for this model as I may buy one of these and will possibly inspect lenses being offered for sale.</p>

<p>What Matthew and I are talking about is not merely pressing down the depth-of-field preview button. While holding that button down in manual focus, if you continue to rotate the focusing ring, you will continue to hear some light clicking sound. The more you rotate, the more it'll click.</p>