AF and AF-D 35mm Nikkors on Digital Body

s._usary

<p>I am ready to throw in the towel and finally purchase a Nikon DSLR. I previously have used three principal Nikkors on my N90: an 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 IF "D" type, a 50mm AF, and a 70-210 f/4 AF. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but need confirmation. I am buying a D90, which will accept all these lenses (no "3-D Matrix metering" on the non-"D" lenses, but all other functions supported). When I slap these 35mm Nikkors on a D90, what will their 35mm focal length equivalents be? Would I be better off selling the old 35mm lenses and getting, e.g., an 18-105 DX (35 equiv.=27-157, I think)? I'll certainly miss the ultra-wide coverage of the 18-35. Thanks, Shane Usary. </p>

<p><em>"no "3-D Matrix metering" on the non-"D" lenses, but all other functions supported"</em><br>

<em>- </em>you have 1 out of 4 right.</p>

<p>also,... no best Balanced iTTL flash protocol, no 3D focus tracking, and no extra menus on Nikon software that use the D information, e.g. in NX2.</p>

<p>if any of them matters to you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I am ready to throw in the towel and finally purchase a Nikon DSLR... "</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>LOL. Why <em>to throw the towel</em>? You will get a glass <em>full</em> of water!</p>

<p>Your lenses will work. The 50mm can be used as a fast portrait lens, the 70-210 has a nice range... the 18-35 has a short range but still useful. The D90 is capable of quality images.</p>

<p>Which kind of photography do you like? Depending on this, it could be interesting or not to trade your lenses.</p>

<p>As Fagin says in "Oliver!," I'm reviewing the situation. I bought the 18-35 "D" in the first place because most of my photography these days is travel, and the 18mm max width coverage was the selling point of that lens. I would hate to have to give it away on eBay or some such and go deep into the pocket for a true wide angle DX/FX that would afford the same coverage. I have a Nikon Coolpix P7000 with a 28-200 (35mm translation=approximately 42-300, I suppose) that will cover the normal to tele range. Verdict: I think I'll keep my N90 so that I get what I paid for out of my lens collection, rather than seeing it degraded to "ordinary" or unneeded focal lengths. The N90 mated to the 18-35 and 50 can cover very wide to wide, the 50 "normal," and the P7000 can cover the "normal" to high tele ranges. Besides, I would have the best of both worlds. That is assuming, of course, that E-6 emulsions and processing/mounting for them don't disappear any time soon. But, as I used to tell my university students, "'assume' makes an ass of u and me," so now I must find out hereon the latest opinion as to the longevity of E-6 emulsions. I note that Fuji soldiers on but Eastman seems slowly to be withdrawing from the film market altogether, both E-6 and C-41. Thanks to all; you have helped me make a kind of Solomonic decision, I think. </p>

<p>We all like, better, love cameras and lenses, but common sense is something to count on. As travel cameras, DSLRs are very good and sometimes... not. It depends on travel and the risk you have to afford. I am not to carry my expensive lens with my expensive camera in canoe rafting river rapids or something similar. I bought and sold several Coolpix and now finally only makes me happy the Canon G12, and I asume I am a Nikon user.<br>

If you have (as most of us) several NikKor lenses, and do not want to buy a Nikon D3x, the common sense says to me that the Nikon D7000 is best relationship performance/money you can buy.</p>