AF Adapters for the Z Series.

mike_halliwell

I spotted this the other day..

Techart TZM-01 adapter provides automatic focusing of Leica M lenses on Nikon Z cameras

Any reason why this couldn't be modded to AF with AI or AIS lenses?

I guess I wouldn't need an FTZ, just a suitable spacer. There are many fully manual mounts already.

I suppose it's a bit like the old TC1.6a?

I'm hoping it might possibly even make my AF dead 500mm and 600mm f4 work again!

Do I get this right? You put the lens on infinity and the adapter then moves the entire lens back and forth to focus? Negating all the things the lens designers incorporated into the lens like close-range correction and the like? Or do you have to set an "approximate" distance first - and then let the adapter take over?

I was thinking for lunar or other long range stuff.

Even for a 600mm lens, isn't the moon at "infinity" anyways?

Do I get this right? You put the lens on infinity and the adapter then moves the entire lens back and forth to focus? Negating all the things the lens designers incorporated into the lens like close-range correction and the like? Or do you have to set an "approximate" distance first - and then let the adapter take over?

Even for a 600mm lens, isn't the moon at "infinity" anyways?

Look at the picture of the adapter it appear to me that the adapter turn the Leica M focusing ring via the rangefinder coupling. And thus I think it's much more difficult to do the same with AI/AI-S lenses.

Look at the picture of the adapter it appear to me that the adapter turn the Leica M focusing ring via the rangefinder coupling. And thus I think it's much more difficult to do the same with AI/AI-S lenses.

2nd clip distinctly shows the whole lens move. There is no lens helicoid movement.

Here's what's being provided by the link in the OP: Focusing is performed by shifting the lens along the optical axis using an electric drive built into the adapter. That operation is clearly visible in the link Mike provided.

In any case, I would have found it highly unlikely that the rangefinder coupling mechanism of an M-mount lens could be used to move the lens helicoid. So it seems to be as I said - whatever mechanism the lens designers implemented to apply corrections as the lens is focused closer is lost when using this kind of AF adapter. It also doesn't appear to need presetting to a certain distance as the TC-16A did. Though it might benefit from it. Some Leica lenses have a rather long focus throw to allow precise manual focusing - I doubt such a long focus throw can be mimicked by the rather limited range of motion the adapter provides. Given how easy it is to focus these lenses on a mirrorless cameras, I think that AF adapter is rather pointless.

Given how easy it is to focus these lenses on a mirrorless cameras, I think that AF adapter is rather pointless.

I think that's the crux of the thing.

AF via the adapter is never going to be fast enough for moving subjects. But precision for static subjects is effectively automated rather than fully MF. Focus Peaking may well be easier to judge than by eye too.