here it goes. I am about to do my first aerial shoot from a single

passenger cesna, at low altitude and wondered if anyone could give me

any pointers on success. I will be using a manual lens on my Pentax

645, to retain image for enlargements required and I will be shooting

colour negative film.

Thanks in advance!! Sean

My aerial photographer friends use the same camera, minimum shutter speed

of 1/500, and 75mm, 55mm, and 150mm lenses for most of their work. The

hardest part is often finding the site if it's something new. Communication with

the pilot about what you need is essential. It's hard to give specific advice

since we don't know what you're trying to shoot.

If at all possible open the flip window and shot with out the plexi there. I have always wanted to create a way around that but never did, besides the FAA would have to write up something and ....... I stopped taking the photos when Debra & I Purchased teh lab but let me know if I can help you with any questions MKJ@AerialPhotoLab.com.

Have them fly as slow as possible (flaps active and a little more power so you will not drop), use a good film and I would want to be at least 500th as well. You are looking obliqued on the subject so things are moving faster then you may thing. With the high tech FMC cameras you actually take the FMC all the way up to help it.

Kevin

www.AerialPhotoLab.com

Make sure that before you leave the ground that the wing strut does not interfer with the shot. In a small plane like a 150/152 (I assume as you say single passenger) the high wing is great but there is damn little room to jockey around in the seat trying to get a shot without the strut in the way. your altitude and focal lenght will have a lot to do with this problem. I would strongly suggest you sit in the plane and do a dry run if you can to see how it will all work while you are on the ground. You could do this even while the pilot is doing his extral pretrip check list. WHAT ever you do don't get into a low wing if you what to take photo's I had a friend who never thought to ask what the plane was like when he booked a photo flight he also never told the pilot his daughter was only 7 so the pilot thinking the daughter was an adult told my friend there wouldn't be room or payload weight for three people. This caused lots of problems when the time arrived. SO make sure you discuss with the pilot what you want to do and make sure that pilot has some idea of what you will need from him and his plane.

HAVE FUN wish I was doing it.

I'm not very familiar with different Cessna models, but the one I've used worked nicely. Here's a tip: The window on the left side of the plane doesn't open up completely UNLESS you unscrew a stopper. Having done that, be VERY careful when you open it lest it bang a hole through the wing as it is forced open by the slipstream. Only open it when your air velocity comes down to something like 40 knots. Oh, and one more thing, there is a rather good book on aerial photography "Secrets of Successful Aerial Photography" by Richard Eller (ISBN 1-58428-018-2) that I think you should consider buying.