AE-1 ASA dial problem

Youneedcoffee

hi!

My AE-1 has an issue. Changing the asa dial has no effect on the light meter suggested aperture.

So it’s recommending f8 at 25 asa at 1/1000, and recommending f8 at 3200 asa at 1/1000 when looking at the same light source.

Should there be a mechanical action inside that happens when you change the asa? When I change the speed the plate under the winder moves and the tungsten wire looks good. The speed has an effect on the suggest aperture so that’s working.

Thank you!

Yes, I think that on the left of the camera (the 'functional resistor') ought to turn when you rotate either the shutter speed or the film speed dial. Check out page 13 of this:

http://www.bildraum-f.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/12/Canon%20AE-1%20-%20Service%20and%20Repair%20Guide%20-%20ENG.pdf

The text mentions a fine tungsten wire that connects the speed dial to the resistor, and the risk of breaking it if you open the top up with too much tension on the wire. I didn't read far enough to understand how it would still be turning for shutter speed but not for film speed. Hope the document helps; good luck with it!

I've had the top cover off a couple of AE-1s. That wire or cable or whatever it is is a prominent feature once the top is off. I recall having to work around the wire when I had the top off -- rather gingerly because I was scared I'd do something to it. If it has come loose or broke, that's your problem.