victor_zhou

I will go to Acadia National Park, MN in the end of May. We plan to

stay there for two days, and camp in the park. I need some advices

to choose some moderate-distance hiking trials, and also to choose

camping site. Also, I'd like to know where is best place for taking

pics at sunrise and sunset.

Thanks in advance

Victor

I myself would try to avoid Cadillac Mountain and Jordan Pond; these are beautiful spots but are heavily photographed;- everybody seems to come back with the same pictures of Acadia National park. I would try to find some of less traveled areas (less traveled = less photographed, means more original pictures). It is a very nice park. Good Luck and have fun.

The end of May is great in Acadia. For one thing, it's not too crowded. The first thing I would suggest is visiting the Acadia web site. Get their toll-free Park Service telephone number and call the Park office and ask for information you want. They are VERY helpful.

Secondly, you might want to stay flexible with your overnight accomodations plan. There is no telling how the blackflies or mosquitoes will be at this time of year. The mosquito swarms can get quite heavy. If you don't know about blackflies, they are very small, and they feed by ripping a chunk of flesh from their victims and then drinking the blood. Ask at the Park office when you arrive, and if bugs are not swarming, have a good camping trip. If they are swarming, the week after Memorial Day is a great week to get inexpensive motel rooms, as long as you are not in Bar Harbor.

Bass Harbor is a good recommendation for sunsets. Actually, if you drive around the point at Bass Harbor, there is a pebble beach that faces the sunrise, which can be pretty darned good. There is a motel around that side of the point, facing the water. Bass Harbor is actually a good place to stay. It is more of a working lobstering harbor than the the tourist/yacht clubs you'll find in other Mt Desert Island harbors. It's worth the longer drive from the Acadia Park. There is a lobster pound in Bass harbor where you can buy them live or eat them cooked right on the pier.

Acadia National Park may be the best walking park in the country. There are miles and miles of gravelled "carriage roads" that have spectacular views. Many hiking trails, also. Get a walking guide at the part office, and you'll be able to select among different types of views, topography, and levels of difficulty.

Again, you have selected a great time to visit Acadia. My wife and I have blocked out that very week to go there. If you see two people with large smiles on their faces, say hello.

• 9 months later...

"If you don't know about blackflies, they are very small, and they feed by ripping a chunk of flesh from their victims and then drinking the blood"

<p>Goodness! Blackflies are irritating but they aren't that vicious! You usually don't even feel them, like mosquitoes. The next day, you start itching, also like mosquitoes, but the bites are a little more irritating on your skin and last a few days. Bring some good bug spray, and you'll be all set.

<p>Acadia National Park is a wonderful little place. Have fun!