Advice on getting started

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by ellis_vener_photography, Apr 29, 2015.

1. http://27bslash6.com/photography.html

2. Sometimes I wish David Thorne was a moderator here. And Bad Flo from the "Sprinkles are for winners" Progressive ad.

3. That site is hilarious. Thanks.

4. I too bought a digital camera in order to make myself a professional photographer, but found that being a professional photographer was hard because of other factors (like, disliking most human beings). So, I bought a camera drone and a GoPro, and I'm now a professional aerial photographer. All the people look like ants.

5. Hello, my name is Thomas and I am a professional photographer because I bought a digital camera.
    He stole my line!!!

6. Laugh it up, but I've seen "Your photography skills mean nothing. Professional photography is all about business skills." here many more times than I can count.
    That article is what I think of when I read that.

7. I loved all the example photos. Impressionistic.

8. I decided to become a professional photographer so I bought the least expensive dslr I could get at Costco. Now my "pics" "come out" good. Now I get 1 in 100 keepers. I next bought a really big lens that says, "professional photographer." I hang the camera from a black rapid strap because I have to react rapidly to the landscapes I shoot. When I shoot I have my elbow artistically cocked at an almost painful angle and try to stick out at least one pinky. I always try to shoot with an intense look on my face. The elbow discomfort helps. I have business cards and a website and the most elaborate watermark I could make. Because people want to steal my pics. Hey, why not, I steal theirs. I am a natural light photographer. (translation, I don't have a clue about light) I don't understand why everyone isn't a professional photographer. How do I shoot my first wedding in 25 words or less because I am shooting it tomorrow. Do you think I am charging too much for it? Oh, I am a semi-pro. (translation, semi meaning half, produces half or less the quality work of a pro because doesn't know what doesn't know). Sorry, couldn't resist venting.

9. Well on the flip side of this I'm really getting tired of cranky old men and women in my local town telling me I can't shoot in their newly restored 1800's now a bed and breakfast establishment because they see my DSLR as my being a professional.
    It just happened again several days ago but this time I was just scouting locations on my bicycle without camera in hand and the old guy said I could take pictures of his historic inn but not as a professional. I asked how he could tell the difference on whether I was a professional from just another tourist where he said I couldn't sell the pictures for money.
    I really wish I wasn't a professional. There's definitely no money in it.
    And Bad Flo from the "Sprinkles are for winners" Progressive ad.​
    I want a t-shirt that says "Sprinkles are for winners", Lex. I always look forward to that punch line at the end of that commercial no matter how many times it plays in constant rotation.

10. Sorry to be a grouch, but this very brief article explores (not very well) a vein of humor which has been mined since the dawn of photography.
    My advice on getting started:
    1) Remember there is one rule (only one) in photography. A good picture is one which fulfills its intended purpose.
    2) Avail yourself of all possible technological aids. By all means set your camera to A and leave it there until you have a good reason to change the setting and you know and understand what that reason is.
    3) Professional photographers are people who make all/part of their living from photography. The presence/absence of the word "professional" on pieces of equipment is immaterial.
    4) Business skills are key. So are fresh ideas. You can learn a lot from experienced workers, but never copy slavishly (except for practise). If given (in particular unasked-for) advice by older experts, make a point of doing the exact opposite.

11. I had a great experience recently. A friend of mine (someone I don't see that often but we have a long history) was looking through a bunch of my photos. And he was asking some fairly simple and naive questions, among them about the camera and lenses I use. I took it as an opportunity to have a little deeper discussion with him and talked about some of the things I did in post processing and talked to him about some of the different choices I had (lighting, perspective) when I was shooting, with the idea of conveying to him that photography is more than just a good camera coming across an interesting scene or occurrence. He was very interested and told me he never realized what exactly went into making a photo. It's not always necessary to laugh off the naive things non-photographers may say or to think people are fools or to make fun of those who think naively about photo-making and cameras. It can all be explained relatively easily. For me, such conversations are a way to make a connection and to get someone to appreciate what I do in a way they may not have considered.

12. It started early, back in the 60's, when I would show photos to people, the common response was: "boy, you must have a really good camera!"

13. Steve, the key issue for me would be, what did you say to them in response?