advice on digital cameras for high school photo teacher

Ok, this is going to be long, but please bear with me...

I shoot weddings on occasion in exchange for a monetary donation my high school

photo program. It has proven to be a great fundraiser. I have been shooting with

a Nikon D100 that I borrow from a friend but now I think it is time to invest in

a camera of my own. While weddings wouldn't be the only use, I want to make sure

I have something that will meet those needs. I am using school funds so of

course I am on a limited budget. I was looking at the Pentax K10D because of the

price. It seems to offer a lot for the money. I was also looking at a Nikon D200

because it seems it is the newer version of what I have. I have heard a lot of

people like the Fuji S5 Pro for weddings but it doesn't see to have a battery

grip attachment. Weight is and issue for me because I have a very small frame

(under 5 feet tall) and it is why I don't like the D100. I don't think is the

weight so much as it is cumbersome and unbalanced or something. Because of the

weight (and cost) I was also considering the Nikon D80 or even the Leica V-Lux.

The Leica would be great because there would be no need to change lenses. I am

concerned about the Leica's ability to communicate with a high end flash though

since it is technically a point and shoot camera. So here are my specific questions:

1. is the Pentax a good camera for my usage?

2. is the D200 truly a better balanced camera than the D100?

3. does the Fuji have a battery grip option?

4. can the V-lux communicate with a digital flash?

5. would I ever be taken seriously at a wedding if I walked in with a D80?

6. which camera would you choose and why? Are their others that should be on my

list? No there aren't any Canon's on my list but I might be talked out of my

strong dislike of Canon's with a reasonable argument

Now for the other part of my question. You may be wondering why I am asking

about such a wide price range. In reality I want to stay around $1000. But I

have found some of these cameras online for cheap prices. I am a firm believer

that if something is too good to be true then it probably is. How are these

online retailers able to charge less than half of retail price? This is an

example: I found the Fuji s5 pro for $929. I call up and they swear it is new

and not refurbished and comes with a 1 year warranty and a 14day return policy

and shipping is free. What is the catch? Has anyone ordered form any of these

online retailers? Can they be trusted? Is the stuff some kind of black market or

something?

http://thecameraprofessionals.com/

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/

http://www.expresscameras.com/

Thanks for all your advice!

Rita,

I can't answer your questions about the camera you are looking for; but, I can tell you you need to buy from a reputable dealer i.e. B & H Photo/Video, Adorama, etc. I would go to http://www.resellerratings.com/ and check out the people you are planning to buy from. If I'm not mistaken, the last two you list use the ole bait and switch tactics. They will sell you a camera and then try to upsell you on things like batteries etc. that should come with the camera.

Rita: Indeed, stay AWAY from those dodgy resellers. Nothing but trouble, and don't confuse "their" warranty with something backed by the maker of the camera.

As for the camera: do you have any particularly favorite lenses you're already using with that D100, or access to them? That might argue strongly for use of the D200, which can make use of a wide range of legacy Nikon/compatible glass. The D200, without the grip attached does, I think, balance very nicely. My wife has a small frame and hands as well, and likes it. I'm big, so I actually like it all the better with the grip attached. Much will depend on which lens(es) you're going to hang off of it. The D80 is also an excellent body, but a bit less rugged. I don't know if your students are going to lay hands on this thing, but the D200's more tank-like construction might be pretty compelling when you know it's going to get knocked around more.

Thanks Todd! That link was a lifesaver. I knew it was too good to be true and it is...all of those sites are scams! Ok, with the magic prices gone, lets rephrase the question:

What camera would you choose to use for wedding work that is around $1000 or under (for the body)? Or am I not being realistic about the price? Should I be looking in a higher price range?

Thanks

1. Yes

2. Yes, has tons more features, better build, ability to use manual focus lenses, more frames per second, better flash support.

3. Fuji is the same body as the D200. So the accessories are nearly identical

4. V-Lux is pretty much the same as the DMC-FZ50 it can communicate with certain Panasonic flashes. The Panasonic flashes are very expensive its top end flash is 600 dollars.

5. Depends on what kind of wedding it is. D80 build is not that different than the D100 both are plastic. If you add a battery grip it still be kinda big. If you are worried what people will think you can always place tape over D80 symbol. Any DSLR made after the D100 will take better pictures. A D40 will take better pictures than the D100.

6. V lux is over priced, for the price of the top end flash you can buy a D40.

In conclusion, you will need more than one body for a wedding in case the camera has a failure. For the same price as one Fuji S5. you can purchase 2 D40s, Nikon SB 600 flash and a 55-200vr lens.

Small sensor cameras are not for pro work. MP # does not count as that is a marketing gimic. There is a marked difference in 10 MP cameras with thumbnail size sensors, Leica, APS C size like the D100 or 200, and full sensor like Cannon 5D. All have 10 MP or close to it.

D200 has nice handling which is why I bought mine. Never got the battery grip.

A nice smaller body is the D80 with fewer features. This is really something you should go to a shop and handle for yourself. It is impossible to advise what size will fit you best. 30D Cannon is a nice camera also.

Stay away from 18/50 or 18/55 Kit lenses for wedding work. Inside construction is poor.

The 18/70 will do most wedding work if you don`t want prime lenses say a 24/35 /50.

If you can afford the 1800 then the Fuji S5 is far and awaya the winner for weddings and

portraits. I also find it to be excellent for landscape work. Why so good? Fuji has paid more

attention to getting the color 'right' out of the camera than Nikon and Canon. You can

usually work with the hi rez jpegs and do very quick turnarounds of your work for weddiings

and portraits.