Advice on buying square format Bronica

elliot_n

Hi

I'm looking for advice on buying a square format Bronica (secondhand).

I currently shoot all my editorial assignments (portrait) on my Mamiya 645AF, but

increasingly I'm being asked to shoot my portraits in square format - either for square

format magazines, or to be run across the gutter in conventional magazines. Up until now

I've been using a masked off viewfinder screen in the 645, but I would prefer to use a full

6x6 screen, with square polaroids and the bigger negative...

I've ruled out Hasselblad as too expensive and too fiddly. A friend recommended Bronica.

Here's what I need:

A body, prism-finder, motorwind/grip, polaroid back, 2 x 120 film backs, 50mm lens, 80

mm lens.

Here's what I don't need:

Any form of metering.

Researching the archives here on photo.net, I initially thought that the SQB was the camera

for me, but it seems that it will not take a motorwind.

So which of the SQA models should I be considering? And which model of lenses - are the

newer ones significantly better? I'm looking for top quality, so will be looking for amateur/

hardly used - is it more economical to buy a complete kit, or to buy the components

individually?

I will continue to use the 645AF for all non-square commissions.

Thanks for any tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the Bronica SQ and I recently upgrade to bronica SQ-Ai (for motordrive)and I'm very happy with this change, I have the motor drive, which is excellent and 50, 80 mm PS lenses, I bought two days ago a 150mm PS on ebay, still waiting for it, I use to 120 back and a polaroid back too, I have to say I'm not a professional, but I would like to and of course I can not buy a hasselblad. (I'm from europe, so my english is not so good)

The thing is that I think that if you tale bronica, the SQ-Ai is THE one you need, don't buy SQ or SQ-B, as soon as you get home you would want the motordrive, and the only model that take it is the SQ-Ai, well, I hope my comments are usefull to you, bye.

www.franciscomarciano.com

Many thanks to you all for the excellent advice.

I'm now convinced that I need the SQAi, with the 45 degree non-metered prism, a

motordrive, the 50mm PS and 80mm PS lenses, a couple of 120 film backs, and a polaroid

back.

I'm waiting for the right camera/kit to appear on eBay.

- I've ruled out buying a 6x7 camera, and then cropping down to a square. Last week I

borrowed a

friend's Mamiya RZ (with 50mm lens, 45 degree prism, motordrive, grip etc.) for a square

portrait

commission. Beautiful negs, but the camera is extremely cumbersome. What I disliked

most were the 7x7 polaroids (and the lack of masks in the viewfinder when shooting

polaroids).