Advice on a used lens, Canon EF

andrew_espinosa

Hi everyone, I've got a lead on a Canon 300mm EF f4 IS at an almost too good to be true price based on the condition description of excellent condition and the photos available (looks clean, original box and accessories, paperwork, but no glass pictures or closeups of the blades).

I assume the price is being offered low because the owner was forthright in mentioning the lens is almost 15 years old and estimated over 10,000 shutter clicks.

With a description like that, and if it looked good after testing it out in person, would you take a chance on the lens? The price beats anything on KEH even if they were offering a coupon.

. . . would you take a chance on the lens? . . . The price beats anything on KEH even if they were offering a coupon.

Depends, you've not provided enough information.

This lens is still in production and is available new (with a warrantee).

At the least I would directly compare the price of this second-hand lens, to the best price I could find for a new lens, and not just compare it to other second hand lens’ prices.

WW

Is there any way you can test/examine it in person before buying?

I've bought some rough-around-the edges pieces before that were fine, and passed on buying others. My key with them is to always test before buying, or if not to buy from a place with a generous return policy like KEH.

I'm not familiar with recent high-end Canon lenses, but if I were checking out a similar Nikon lens I'd take a body along and do things like check for accurate focus at all distances, check the manual focus operation, check to make sure VR(IS) is working correctly, and make sure the aperture works across its entire range. Some Nikons are known to get a squeaky focus motor that can be problematic down the road-I don't know if any Canons do that also.

. . . They're listing it at $500. . .

I assume that this is up for sale from the owner, directly, and I also assume you are in the USA - if those assumptions are correct, then, if I were you, I would buy a new one: a new 300/4 L IS is about US$1350.00.

The three reasons why I would buy new are:

1. warrantee

2. there's little recourse from a private sale

3. 15 years old is a long time old, even if it has been being used, or not: sometime NOT being used, and just stored, can be worse.

Obviously the cash we each have at hand varies - though I'd argue that the jump from $500 to $1350 is only $850 and that can be saved by making your own lunch and not getting take away coffee for about two months.

WW

Can't comment on the price but I would do the following: check sharpness in all 4 corners of the image (at full aperture) to makes sure all corners are reasonably consistent (no blurry corners). Check the AF by focusing at infinity and then focus on a close-up subject to see how quickly and consistently the lens is able to rack though its full range of focus. Makes sure the IS system is working and that the image stabilizes in your viewfinder when you press the shutter halfway, and that at reasonably low shutter speeds, the files are sharp. Note that this early generation IS is not quite as effective as is Canon's current system, but I would hope that at 1/40 - 1/60 the images are sharp.

With a description like that, and if it looked good after testing it out in person, would you take a chance on the lens?

"It depends"

With the post mechanical high tech stuff (AF & IS!) I am usually "buy new!" leaning. OTOH: Who needs a 300/4 how badly? - I can imagine that it might not matter that much. And if it isn't an absolute essential, of the show stopping kind, why fuzz about it? Trying to say: Yes what can break will break, some day. But when that lens will finally need some repairs you might either have the money to afford them stashed aside or grown tired of carrying that thing around. - Who knows?

If you feel your future career & everything will depend on having a working 300mm ready all the time: Maybe still buy that lens, to serve as a backup for another one? Beginners specific advice: Buy something, see if you like it at all and ponder a next step.

I'm new to Canon too and don't know that lens. I'd probably try to buy it (the cheap used one, you are offered). I can see it as a part of a 2 bodies 4-5 primes kit but in case it breaks, I'd feel confident to limp out (i.e. finish a job) on the 200mm end of a zoom.

Shutter count is important for cameras, but not normally so much for lenses.

There are fewer moving parts, and they don't have to move so precisely.

Not having bought from KEH, I believe that they give at least a short warranty, or return

if it isn't as described. But if you test it out well in person, and it looks as clean as you

say, it is probably a good deal. A camera or lens can fail at any time, but most likely

it will last many years longer.

Buying from KEH has some markup for their costs, which you don't pay if you buy

direct from the previous owner. That has to cover their overhead, maybe shipping

costs, and costs for those that do fail early.

How long is the warranty on a new lens? How bad will you feel if this one fails

before then? The advantage of new is a little peace of mind, but only a little.

-- glen

...only $850 and that can be saved by making your own lunch and not getting take away coffee for about two months.

Only $850!?

Surely anyone with serious G.A.S. is already making their own lunch and not buying take away coffee?

But well under half price seems about right for a 15 year old item in a private sale. And given inflation, the seller is probably getting back near what they paid for the lens.

The fact is that none of us can know. You would be buying a lens at a suspiciously low price from someone you (and we) don't know. None of our experiences with buying used with answer the question. The question is simply whether YOU are willing to risk getting a lens in lousy condition for $500, in order to have a chance at saving the $150-$230 you would save compared with buying one in excellent condition from KEH (which is very conservative in its quality ratings). I know what my answer would be.

Just don’t try the public transportation with the camera around your neck.....

;)

Do it nearly every day. Have actually met some of my subjects that way. I find public transportation more enjoyable and eminently more likely to lead to a photograph than being alone in my car dealing with traffic and parking.

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

SF ain’t Memphis......

For sure!

I’ve read a bit about the Memphis transit system (not as good as first-hand experience) and what seems at least partly the case, and I can relate it to Photography, is that the system serves many more people who can’t afford an expensive camera than who can. That’s at least perceived to be why the service is considered pretty bad and why most people with higher-end cameras are much more likely to be driving cars. The city’s poor, who seem to be the overwhelming majority recipients of the bad public transit system seem much less concerned with a camera being stolen than with getting to work in a reasonable amount of time, not getting heatstroke while waiting for long periods, etc. I guess the concerns one has would vary according to experience and perspective.

One line worth thinking about stood out from THIS ARTICLE:

“Mosley says the negative view MATA is trying to combat is all about the quality of the service, not the people who use it.”

I have a feeling there’s probably a ring of truth to that.

"You talkin' to me?"

By the way, as bad as they are, 2 bus driver assaults in 2015, 5 in 2018, and 4 in 2019 may make it reasonable for the city to consider barriers but wouldn’t make me paranoid enough not carry my 5D on a bus. I’d use the same city smarts and caution I always do when in a city, and I would not overreact in fear.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

By the way, as bad as they are, 2 bus driver assaults in 2015, 5 in 2018, and 4 in 2019 may make it reasonable for the city to consider barriers but wouldn’t make me paranoid enough not carry my 5D on a bus. I’d use the same city smarts and caution I always do when in a city, and I would not overreact in fear.

I used to ride a ten speed through the city at night, from Audubon Park to the River and back. But only on a weeknight. You learn where to ride fast. Only a couple of close calls.

But I was young, strong, and adventurous back then.

I wouldn’t do it today.

A several thousand dollar camera hanging around my neck would have been considered entrapment and the Po po would have locked me up.

As for Memphis public transportation......

The city tried the Bird thing. They were ending up in the river.

The Trolleys were catching on fire and burning up.

In 59 years I’ve never over reacted on a Memphis City bus.

A several thousand dollar camera hanging around my neck would have been considered entrapment and the Po po would have locked me up.

I don’t ride a bike and am not sure what riding a bike at night through all parts of the city has to do with a quip about not taking a camera on a bus in general.

In 59 years I’ve never over reacted on a Memphis City bus.

I was talking about my not overreacting to fear before I get on a bus and being happy to take my camera on most, if not all, excursions.

"You talkin' to me?"