Advice keep Nikkor 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D or upgrade to 55-200mm VR?

brian_choong

Previously I am holding a Nikkor 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D, this lens is fast and

sharp for me.

But recently Nikon announce a new lens that is 55-200mm VR.

I wonder is this a good time for me to upgrade? Will the VR help alot?

I never try the 55-200mm VR, does anyone compare this two lens before?

Because what I worry is the 55-200mm VR is not as fast and sharp as my 70-210mm.

And also, I did saw some comparison the bokeh of this two lens on web, and seem

like the 70-210mm lens bokeh is better.

I have just bought a VR lens and have noticed a big difference in VR and non VR, the only reason being that more of my shots, not all that many but enough to make a difference, were sharper with the VR than not, so I had more to choose from. I am still new to photography and am still learning to shoot correctly in different situations but as I said, even as a amateure, I noticed a difference. I have the 80-400 which is slow to focus and I have no experience with the other lenses you mention.

VR has limited usefulness. VR won't doesn't well for moving subjects in low light. It really depends on what you are shooting and the lighting conditions you typically shoot under. I have several VR lenses and rarely have it turned on. Others have it on all the time.

If you are missing shots because you don't have VR and take a lot of landscape shots in lower light, you may want to try it and see if you like it. There are many stores that offer reasonable return policies without restocking fees.

I frequently shoot a 70-210 AF non-D with a F100. Sharpness and bokeh are among the best of all the lenses I've tried in this range. Given the economy it offers on the used market (mine was about $100 in like new condition), it's one of the best deals going. Optics in the "D" version are the same. I'd be careful about trading one of these for an unknown.

Keep your lens. Perhaps you will not get better pictures even in good lighting, or fast moving objects with the 50-200 VR lens. If you shoot a lot of low light static objects, then it would make senses to get the VR lens.

Take the new lens in your left hand, and hold your old lens in your right hand, and you will get instant answer there...

Possibly save money for a yet better lens, e.g. 70-200/2.8 VR.

The 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D is a very good lens. As Jack said, since it will bring little money in the used market, it's a good one to keep. (I should have kept mine.)

VR really works, and it is wonderful when appropriate. It has often allowed me to get sharp images hand-held in light conditions that otherwise demand a tripod. Elliot's objection -- that it does nothing to help with subject movement -- is also true of tripods, but that's not a reason to to stop using them.

If you like the build quality of your 70-210, you may not be happy with the 55-200mm VR, which is extremely light. Nikon's 70-300mm VR is a good lens which is better built, and of course gives you another 100mm on the long end. It does cost more.

I was stupid - I sold mine & I regret it. The 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D is an excellent lens. Selling it will bring very little money in the used market, it's a good one to keep. I should have kept mine as the 70-200 VR is heavy to carry all day. I would not ever consider trading it for a 55-200. You'll be very disappointed in the difference in build in between those lenses. The 70-210 is still one of Nikon's old Nikkor pro lenses. The 55-200 is a consumer lens. Far more plastic.

JMHO

Lil

Thank you so much for the reply, seem like if I switch, it is not consider as an upgrade but a downgrade.

Indeed, VR is help in low light condition, but I will use tripod to support it, not a big issue for me.

Anyway, the only problem with my 70-210 is only it is push pull version, quite hard to control it if I set it with tripod, and zoom down from the horizon.

After listen to so much good comment about the 70-210mm, I will keep it.