Adventures with Autographic A116

I rarely accomplish much, the very best procrastinator ever. I did finally order some 3D printer space adapters to be able to use use 120 film. It didn't start off too well.

The Kodak Autographic dates from the 1920s. These were consumer cameras. I assume most know this history. They were intended to make contact prints. The large size of the negative permitted this easily. So this also was my motivation.

My Autograph has been in my possession since the mid 1980s. I even used it successfully then, with expired color print film. Back then I also had tried to adapt 120 by using golf tee spindles cut to the right length. My work was sloppy then ( it is now) so it didn't work too well. So it has not been used in 30 years ... it has been fondled and fired from time to time, but no film was exposed.

I have shot 3 rolls of Acros 100 now, but it did finally work like I wanted. The first roll was not only full of light leaks and some frame problems, the roll was fogged by poor handling from ..you know who. I used Tanol Speed and the brownish tint stain added to the dreary results.

The second roll was improved. I blocked the ruby window from the outside and opened for winding only. I also added black knitting wool in the seams all around. Still light leaks, but very clearly when the winding on occurred. I was still dogged by light fogging on the long edge. And frame separation was well ....consistent with the scheme 3 - 5 1/2 / 8 - 10 1/2, but still very tight in two places.

The time round, I doubled the seams with the wool, then I did , what I now regret, framing the end of the bellows with knitting wool where they meet with the pressure plat. Although most important was to block the ruby window partially from the inside. The later two rolls were done with Rodinal. The first shot will be the best of the 2nd roll.. recently featured in the daily 365 thread!!

The other two will be from the third roll. The hairs of the knitting wool migrated to the frames and the edges are burly curly for this if you look closely. I will first post a pic of the camera from ten or so years ago.

DSC00604.thumb.JPG.180b8cfb688be6a17d1b61c7f8a2c9b6.JPG

DSC00610.thumb.JPG.8ca99c31f79ad38b6fcb918df6701291.JPG

2017-07-15-0007ccZ.thumb.jpg.b524d0d4f9ecb44a2086b0d498b69adc.jpg

2017-07-21-0002.thumb.jpg.0b9ca1f3844db67a5b0f468a61dafcb9.jpg

2017-07-21-0003cc.thumb.jpg.fb7cd4b1ad948deefd748fc019968a6c.jpg

Those are pretty impressive results from the Kodak, Chuck; they do confirm that the ubiquitous Kodak Anastigmat lens was a capable performer. Fine-looking example of the breed, too... I've always hankered after one with the little Art Deco foot, the feet on mine having "Kodak" in a heavy Gothic script. Thanks for the post, and I hope you'll post some more samples as you progress with the camera.