Advena 54 Enlarger

alex coleman

• 9 months later...

Dear Alex,

I've been using a Advena 54T enlarger for the last 10 years it is a dichroic colour head with two 300watt lamps. I only print B&W and this colour head allows for short exposure times and will give a true grade 5. When I first bought it (at an auction for a ridiculous price) I had to decouple the twin cooling fans as they were causing a slight vibration. This was done by removing the fans and mounting them on one end of a length of flexible air ducting the end being where the fans were located on the lamp head. I think the machine is very well designed & engineered and is built to last a lifetime. I don't have any operating instructions (if there is anyone outthere who does I would like to hear from you). Incidentaly the Advena company was set up by two ex DeVere engineers some time back in the '80's and I had the pleasure of meeting them at a trade show in the UK when they first demonstrated their enlargers. A search using Google should give you the UK agent. One small tip, I think that as the lamps are wired in serieswhen one blows they both go and will need replacing.

Hope this helps

John

Thanks For Your Reply John.

I didn't buy the Advena afterall.

Guy who had it was looking for too much money for it.

From the research I did on it I found it was a very early Model and was more liable to have some problems with Electric's and The Rollers on the column, than later models.

Possibly may go for a LPL 7452 if I can find one at reasonable money.

• 7 months later...

Hello Alex and John, I brought a second hand Advena enlarger, GEM 504,from ebay for ?215. It was originally on HMS Illustrious (which was up for a refit recently) so it must be good.

There was no instructions but I've been able figure out most of its capabilities. But I need a manual too.

I've written to Advena because they're hopeless on the phone, take messages but never get back to you. In the event you do change your mind and go fo an Advena enlarger, I'll pass this information to you.

Their retail details are: Advena Sales & Service Ltd., 220, Hastings Rd, Bromley, Kent BR2 8QH. Tel: 01689 880298 (also takes faxes from what I sometimes heard when I tried to phone them.)Their phone and fax numbers at their local Manufacturing Unit are obsolete.

Good luck. I hope you get an enlarger you like. LPL7700 Colour is a good alrounder and they often come up on ebay for a reasonable price. I have purchased at ebay on many occasions, particularly for photographic stuff. You need to set yourself a limit and stick to it because a lot of novices get carried away and put the prices up needlessly.