Advanced Photo Magazines

nadopix

What are your favorite photo magazines that deal with more than the basics? When I first started photography,

nearly every magazine I read taught me a great deal. Now, I don't think I can stand to read another article on using a

tripod or the rule of thirds. Now, before anyone says it, I'll say it: no, I don't consider myself a great photographer, but

I do consider myself an informed one (and I know how to use a tripod). Where can I turn to increase this knowledge

further?

Try stepping outside the box. I still read the magazines sometimes, but I have switched over to using forums/etc for my main source of info. Try networking a little more (online counts too!). Knowledge you pick up from books/etc is only reinforced by talking to other users, and often knowledge that you have gained can be off assistance to people who don't know as much as you. If you feel you've learned something, ask for critique. The great thing about photography is that no matter how much you know, there is always somebody willing to throw a few tips your way. If somehow you manage to become absolute master of the universe in one discipline, which is impossible, switch to another? So you've mastered landscapes? How about portraits? Each discipline requires different technique. No matter how good my work gets, I know it can still be 10x better and that is the reason I just can't seem to put my camera down.

My favorites are the ones on using Photoshop, like Photoshop Creative. I also like the magazines that focus on individual photographers, so I can see different styles. The best place to learn has to be PN, though. Many times, if you ask a photographer how they achieved that effect, or what their settings were, they will answer and you can learn. The critiques help, too, when people actually leave a comment for you with suggestions for improvement.

Tim<p>The next best place for learning more about photography is books. With magazines you are stuck with what they

want to cover that month, with books you can direct your study to those thing you find interesting.<br>I work in black and

white film and I find myself reading and rereading my library of books about the processes, both in the darkroom and use of

the camera. I also find reading about art and imagery very useful. Christopher Alexander has a wonderful 4 volume set that

is helping me understand why I like certain images more than others. Books is the way to go once the magazines start to

seem repetitive.

The traditional photo magazines are an outlet for gushing reviews of mediocre equipment and (largely) mediocre photographs. In the digital age you have more productive options. I find the projects, tips and example interesting and occasionally useful. My favorite magazines are "Digital Photo Pro" and "Photoshop User" (the house organ of NAPP). "Shutterbug" provides useful information on equipment and techniques for advanced amateurs and professionals. I also read "Outdoor Photography" (the US publication) because I like to see things other than faces and buildings (and can skip past the shameless ads and reviews). Books that actually teach you something or serve as references are fine. Most "how to" books, however, are galleries of photos by the author accompanied by meager information.

The traditional magazines are a hoot! I always wondered how each photo was accompanied by exact accounts of the equipment, shutter speed and f/stop - who would write this stuff down. That was before EXIF data, and I suspect the statistics were made up just before the envelop was sealed. It is much more important to remember HOW you decided on the exposure than the actual readings. I note that modern descriptions include the type of tripod and head. So I don't forget, I'm careful to jot down that I use Gitzo tripods :-)

Photo Techniques magazine has allways been over the top. They started out as a Traditional Darkroom magazine, but when the Digital rage began to eat into their profits, they slowly if not reluctantly switched over to digital. Their original name was "Photo and Darkroom Tecniques". Many of their articles are very advanced scientific and technical, not the type of magazine you can flip through while riding in a cab.

However they do have some interesting articles once in a while and they offer specialized editions dedicated to various subjects such as lighting, special effects, paper etc. Although I have problems reading some of their articles, I've been a subscriber for 15 years.

Just the fact that Holte recommended Digital Photo Pro is a reason I need to renew that one! Gracias amigos. And I am always one to advocate for a well-rounded BOOK library at home -- some on technical (Photoshop digital darkroom) and the rest on photo art or photo techniques.