Adox 50 developer...warning

mjferron

<p>I recently posted about the high contrast of Adox 20 and decided to try another roll under stricter conditions. 2 hours of hard work which should have landed a keeper or two went down the drain as the 8 day old Adox 50 developer (already premixed) was total junk.</p>

<p>I thought it looked rather orange but said to myself nah, I just mixed this stuff a short while ago. (Freestyle says it lasts 6 weeks) It has to be ok. Well I got a 95% clear film for all my troubles. First time in the six years I've been messing with B&W film.</p>

<p>Ditto, Larry's inquisition. We really need to shake you down for every detail in order for this to be relevant for future reference and fair to the manufacturers of the film and chemicals. (Not that I have any personal stake in the latter - never used the stuff, probably never will.)</p>

<p>Never heard of seasoning new bottles with acid nor have the 5 or 6 developers I normally use "ever" had a problem with a fresh bottle rinsed and flushed out with fresh water.<br /> "I see we are getting no place here." Damn you are making a religion out of this Larry. I keep a tidy shop. No sloppy procedure ya know?</p>

<p>Nope it is not a religion and seasoning with acid? I season with the contents that will be in them... Most developers are base... I use baking soda or borax for those.... Xtol is the only acid developer I use. And vinager or a little stop bath diluted works there. as Plastic has memory.</p>

<p> Religion Nope I have faith no religion and as Lex said to paraphrase We need to learn more befor we point fingers... because It could be something so simple it gets overlooked in the simple facts of where we went on Monday. :{-)</p>

<p>Well when you get an expensive developer that mixes at 24-1 and is enough for 5 films do you waste 1 films worth on seasoning the bottle? Especially when you also bought 5 films? Tell me if you think a brand new bottle rinsed in fresh water was the cause of a developer not lasting 8 days? Facts please.</p>

<p>Well then I would mix it 1 shot and use it for 1 film at a time or use it to develop all the rolls at one time.. I am not being an Ass Hole brother, just wanting to know.</p>

<p> No you season with the type not the developer... And please don't get me wrong I just wanted to know as I have been using a few different Rollei films recently.</p>

<p>Well the bottle says mix 24-1 and it's a very small bottle to boot. I don't feel I could get an accurate measurement if I mixed one shot for 35mm. Too small an amount to gauge by my older eyes. A tiny bit one way or another would make a difference for an already sensitive film. Again the info says the mix should last 6 weeks. I'm not saying anyone is an Ahole nor am I overly upset over a failed experiment. I had my reservations about using these products to begin with. I am PO'ed about one paticular shot gone that will be hard for me to duplicate.</p>

<p>Michael, I understand you're experienced with darkroom work. But one of the things I've learned online - and I know Larry can vouch for this - is that many problems described on this forum over the years turn out to be operator error.</p>

<p>Very rarely does it turn out to be a problem with the equipment or material. But occasionally it does. So we try to sort out what's what.</p>

<p>For example, when someone states "my negatives came out completely clear", and they swear they did everything correctly, most of the time it turns out they accidentally used fixer as the first step. But that fact often turns up only after we've thoroughly debriefed the complainant, step by step. Meanwhile, if a casual reader Googles a problem and reads only the initial complaint, they'd get the mistaken impression that the entire industry making films and darkroom chemicals must be full of drunken incompetents.</p>

<p>So, considering the potential for confusion, as well as <a href="00W9zY">the previous discussion about Adox 20</a>, it seems reasonable to ask specific questions to eliminate operator error as a possible factor. If there actually is a problem with the materials, this may help to resolve it.</p>

<p>Understand Lex and I am certainly not above mistake but that soup turned orange on me. Like spoiled milk you know when it's gone bad. My Tupperware containers with prepped mixes are all marked. Chems come out of the cabinet one at a time. Everything is read once more before being poured in the tank. There was a faint photographic image on the film and I mean faint, look hard in the light faint. Fixer first and none near the end of process would not have done that. I just wrote Freestyle who sold me the products and I'll see what they have to say. They've been fine to deal with so maybe they have an answer.</p>

<p>1 liter in a 1/2 gallon bottle means about a quart of air sitting on top of the developer. Not a good thing. :(<br /> The special note says the concentrate lasts 6 weeks once opened, assuming you are mixing one shot and not topping up the concentrate bottle with water to prevent oxidation. See:</p>

<p>http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12050-Adox-Adolux-Adotech-Developer-50ml-Processes-5-rolls-of-35mm-x-36?cat_id=301</p>

<p>Sounds like your working solution died in the bottle due to oxidation.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

<p>Is this Adox Adolux Adotech? 50ml bottle?<br>

I used it a couple times while travelling in Europe. I mixed it in whatever was available, to develop the 35mm Adox 20 I was shooting then. <br>

The negs came out a bit thin. Only after did I read the directions that said it was a one-shot developer. I did all my rolls in the same 1-liter solution, one after another. I do not remember it changed any color. A really non-eventful developer. I suspect you had something added to it, by accident.</p>

</p>